Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-05-15 19:50:29

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

diss-sway < dissuade

The very sound of the word may be enough to dis-sway the attention of the hardliners but if you’re still there i will carry on

She knew that this was incorrect, but she needed to dis-sway him somehow.

John Lennon once called CB one of America’s great poets, and I have heard (and read) little to dis sway me of that notion.

Is it a sin to dissway a man from becoming a priest? – Catholic … forums.catholic.com ›

Do not be disswayed by the fact that it is in black and white. In fact, the B&W attitude adds to the overall drama of the film.

Guys cannot be easily disswayed from a girl, there are few things to do so. but if you do one of them, its terrible.

It’s a personal decision on my part & I’m not attempting to dissway others from using this new
procedure/technology.

His own teammates tried to dissway him from this purchase.

I rest my case.
(Pardon the extra s in the title: I can’t figure out how to edit it out.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-15 19:56:17)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-05-16 03:53:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: diss-sway < dissuade

A very nice find, David. I like the sense of trying to rectify a prior inclination or unwitting prejudice. For th-fronters there is an alternative explanation, where the emphasis is on this way rather than that, but it’s likelier they have simply miss-spelled and lost an s.
(If you find a way of editing the title, please let us know. You are not alone!)

I said hoping to dis-way him. “Don’t we. We don’t know if she just gave us junk and took the only thing worth while.”

Notice even the mother was trying to disway her. But she wouldnt forgot the words of her father.

If the consumer is price shopping I usually dis-way them to stick with my competitor.

Why bother trying to dis-way them towards anything they don’t WANT to believe….

Board footer