Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-05-17 13:23:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

veering on < verging on

You are wrong and either showing a lack of understanding or something more intentional veering on anti-Semitism.

Brazilian coach Felipe Scolari was in a self-assured mood veering on the bombastic following his team’s 4-2 victory over Italy.

The acidity is balanced and veering on mineral, with subtle oak on the finish and a rewarding touch of dark chocolate.

To reach the podium an athlete has to take risks, whether by attempting a more difficult skill to obtain more points or by veering on the edge of control to attain greater speeds

Veering towards might work pretty well in some of these cases. Veering might imply taking a definite turn so as to actually cross, rather than just coming close to, a boundary, impinging or encroaching on the territory across that boundary.
Other cases probably have err on the side of X mixed in:

veering on the side of caution

Veer on the cautious side – it’s better to start small and build upwards than to be a cocky so-and-so and end up broke and disappointed.

If you aren’t sure whether your children have been fully vaccinated against the disease (the MMR vaccine requires one dose at 12 to 15 months and a booster between the ages of 4 and 6), you may want to veer on the safe side and get another MMR vaccination. There’s no risk associated with getting the vaccine for a third time.

Odd, anyhow. I wonder if, to those who say it, verge on might feel like a blend or contraction of veering on (the) edge ? Is teetering on the edge involved somehow? ( Veering has some of the same feeling of instability for me.) Is nearing the boundary (or veering near to it) involved at all? Is the inclination or leaning towards something that is part of veer involved?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-17 13:33:01)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-05-18 16:06:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: veering on < verging on

I am not used to verge with other prepositions than on , but included in what’s below are a couple of sites purporting to illustrate legitimate usages.

For a month before the Protocol was signed the relations between Spaniards and Americans were verging towards a crisis.

here “dogma” is already verging towards the narrower and more precise sense – truth defined by church authority.

He proves nothing; so I am where I was, verging towards Spinoza; and yet it is a gloomy creed; and I want a better

Examples of verging in a sentence: 1. You are now verging into the commonplace. 2. I hope a little more verging towards improvement.

verge towards in a sentence – Use “verge towards” in a sentence 1. The Ice Elven Dominion, existing for twelve centuries, is slowly verging towards its downfall.

I guess for me it feels like malaprop/blending of be on the verge (of) with edge towards/into and perhaps veer towards/into ?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-27 12:38:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer