Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-05-27 09:47:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

"fill up" for fillip

When your stock or even your economy is flagging and doesn’t seem to have much left in the tank, and you’re running on empty, a nice stimulus package may provide a much-need fillup.

Huge jump in pre trade for holding MRNA will provide a nice fill up to NAV. As always, DYOR
Stock trader, 2020

Trust holding Glaukos Corp ends the trading session @ $62.86 +40.3% Fang stocks also motoring tonight so should provide a fillup to NAV
Same stock trader, 2 years earlier

In short, the SIPP aims to gear up investment climate in U.P. and to provide a fillup to Sugar Industry in the State, which in turn will contribute to growth of rural economy and generate employment in the State.
Court judgment, India

He also asserted that he will make Tripura into a model state come what may. He also pointed out that with tourism minister Pranjit Singha Roy he will give a fillup to spiritual tourism in the days to come in the state.
News online, India

the Foner approach could provide a fillup to our analysis of the phenomena of immigration and rural-urban migration
Book Review

The mortgage market in Pakistan—less than 1% of GDP—still lags behind neighboring countries—India’s is 7% of GDP. Analysts are hopeful that as the home loan market progresses further this will act as a fill up to the real estate sector.
Pakistan Economist

On the other hand, maybe it was a fillip that was needed. A fillip was originally a flick of the fingers that propelled something into the air. Kind of like a flip, which may or may not be descended from a fillip. Nowadays a fillip is a thing that serves as a boost or stimulus to any activity.

The majority of the fillups were taking place in South Asian markets.

#2 2021-05-27 10:23:32

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "fill up" for fillip

Warehouses with connecting nationalhighways for rural madis will certainly provide a Philip to the growth of rural markets and products as well.
Tweet

The OED indicates that a sharp flick was sometimes delivered in Middle English as a philippe. This strikes me as a sweet Lehman’s term.

Last edited by burred (2021-05-28 16:49:44)

#3 2021-05-28 10:31:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "fill up" for fillip

I remember kids saying (and may well have myself said) “I don’t give a flip!” I had no idea that was the same expression, etymologically speaking, as “it doesn’t make a fillip of difference, to me.” The same dismissive hand motion fits both expressions, but I don’t think I had ever thought of it being designated by either expression. Oh, well, fill ’er up and let’s drink to that!

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-05-28 10:41:52)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer