Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-07-01 10:43:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

singing to the choir

I realize I don’t need to be singing to the choir about this.

The speakers were, however, singing to the choir. The board already has authorized a proposal that would do what the group wanted.

I know I am singing to the choir, but can’t say enough good things about Involve Encode!

Pretty clearly related to, if not based off of, preaching to the choir, but with overtones of singing (chiming in on) the chorus, singing in the (same?) choir, you’re singing my song, same song second verse, amens from the choir and so forth. It makes at least as much sense as preaching to the choir, for me: the choir already knows the song, maybe even more than the sermon, and is likely to join in with you as you sing.
This came to mind because a sister-in-law, one of the most prolific word- and phrase-blenders I know, today said

[I knew I was] talking to the same choir.

Also for your delectation, from a somewhat published interview (as published as you typically get out in the hinternet lands) with “one of the top communicators in the self reliance and DIY organic gardening fields”:

[Q:]How would you describe your ideal customer person that just comes across you and says, ah, this is what I’m looking for?

[A:] So the ideal customer, I don’t I think of them as just community because customers so transactional. But the ideal person that that we’re speaking to and it’s I mean, we’re like singing to the choir but also trying to be gentle in it for sure. But very invitational to be like, these are conversations that are so critical and so interwoven and I loved like a post pandemic and then like the murder of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter and people are like well wait wait wait wait seeds, why are seeds now political? And it’s like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, I haven’t been doing my work clearly because let’s have a conversation. ¶ So I love that the person that is going to just see us and instantly be hungry for what we’re sharing is hungry for justice, as well as fabulous lettuce and the, you know, earliest ripening watermelon that they can find. Yeah, I could go on and I will attempt keep myself under wraps.

Whoa is me! ― it’s I mean, like I’d better keep myself under wraps. (The whole interview is worth reading. I hope we all may be hungry for justice, as well as fabulous lettuce.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-07-01 11:02:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-07-13 10:51:47

kem
Eggcornista

Re: singing to the choir

Another novel idiom achoired by blending.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer