Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-07-20 09:31:29

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

ought toss sequencing as evidence for eggcornhood

Just watched Blue Origins’ first flight to space with humans onboard—it does look like it would be a lot of fun!— I rarely watch any kind of TV or news video (or whatever it is called nowadays), but I was struck by the scrolling captions. They showed up onscreen several seconds after the speech they were reporting, so perhaps a person was supposed to be checking things before they went up, but the number of spectacular malapropisms was amazing to me. The one I got written down on my palm was ought toss sequence < autosequence , but it was far from the only or even necessarily the best one.
They were generally entirely on the receptor side, as far as I could tell: it did not seem that the people being quoted misspoke in any way, but that the machine or people trying to interpret what had been said messed up badly. Several times the speaker repeated a phrase, and the interpreter got it right one time and wrong another (not necessarily, but more than once, in that order, which strikes me as mildly unnatural).
Anyhow, it made me more skeptical about things I find on the Internet. To whatever extent what you find there is machine generated material of this sort, it is very poor evidence for eggcornhood. Auto be tossed, I reckon, if you can figure out how to identify it.
This of course doesn’t mean legitimate receptor-side eggcorns don’t happen all the time. In fact they are probably almost entirely necessary in order to establish speaker-side eggcorns in the first place.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-04-08 11:00:24)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-09-19 13:34:20

kem
Eggcornista

Re: ought toss sequencing as evidence for eggcornhood

I think I detect an increase in NLP subtitles in films. The technology is (at present) fairly easy to spot.

Another curious subtitle phenomenon is when the subtitles render speech that can’t be (and probably wasn’t meant to be) heard. I assume in this case that the subtitlers are working from a shooting script.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2022-03-31 19:39:41

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: ought toss sequencing as evidence for eggcornhood

Was just remembering that, years ago, there was a regular contribution in the Piano Technicians’ Guild newspaper (to which my father, a licensed piano technician among many other occupations, subscribed), called the “Rump River Report”. One of its specialties was the humorous names of the characters reported on, such as the snooty high-society lady Mrs. Ben Eaton-Fisch, and the Sheriff, Otto B. Shott.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-04-01 13:07:11)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer