Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-11 20:43:28

patschwieterman
Administrator

How to reveal your location

No one on this list is required to divulge where they live. But dialect plays a big part in the phenomena we comment on here, and many of us often end up wondering where another poster is from. If you’d like to make your geographical origins (or current location) more obvious, here are some (I hope) simple directions.

First, log in. Then click on the “User list” button that’s in the horizontal menu at the top of all the Forum pages (including the page you’re currently reading). Then either select yourself from the long list, or punch your username into the handy box provided. Now you’ll get another (vertical) boxed menu off to the lefthand side of the page. Click on “Personal.” The new page that comes up has a blank “location” box. You can choose any degree of specificity—continent, nation, region, province, state, city, etc.; it’s up to you. Hit “Submit.” If all goes well, your location should show up on all your posts.

And if this turns out to be more confusing than I’m expecting, please just holler—in the form of a comment to this post.

#2 2006-09-11 21:03:16

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: How to reveal your location

Oh, that’s what you meant by “How to reveal your location.” I thought you were going to say that you knew which posters were from Chicago because they refer to soda as “pop”!! (And, for all I knew, maybe you had a secret list of codewords for every city in the nation!!)

#3 2007-07-09 13:30:41

huevomaiztro

Re: How to reveal your location

You can also get to your own profile by clicking on your name in the column to the left of any one of your posts. Same directions as above to edit it. Another reason you might want to do this: If your e-mail changes, you don’t need to create a new persona. Just edit your profile to update your e-mail.

And you can get to the profile of any other registered participant by clicking on that person’s name next to any one of his or her posts. (Of course, you can’t edit another person’s profile.)

Down near the bottom of the profile, there’s a sometimes-useful feature: a link to all posts by that person.

Board footer