Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-08-11 13:11:20

lolphysics

"holiday sauce"/"hollandaise sauce"

I found an eggcorn at brunch yesterday! My boyfriend asked me if I liked the holiday sauce on my poached eggs. I asked him to repeat himself so I could be sure of what I’d heard. Once I told him the actual name of the sauce, he said that he’d always wondered what holiday the sauce was originally from.

It makes sense. We have Easter Ham. There are Christmas Cookies. Why not an all-purpose Holiday Sauce?

After a little googling, i have found some recipes for holiday sauce. A few are other sauces that one might use on a holiday, but there are plenty that match the recipe for Hollandaise sauce (it’s just an emulsion of eggs and lemon juice which sometimes includes dairy). One recipe even speaks fondly of eating the sauce on holidays. Since it’s a pain to prepare, it makes sense that it’s use would be limited to special occasions.

#2 2008-08-13 15:50:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "holiday sauce"/"hollandaise sauce"

Hello and welcome, lolphysics. I rather like this one. I tried a ‘holidays sauce’ variant and found a few more examples:

I grew up thinking hollandaise sauce was actually called “holidays sauce” because we only ever had it on holidays. :-) ...
manolobig.com/2008/05/11/ food-friendly-may-mothers-day-memories/ – 46k – Cached

It makes a great Holidays Sauce for Eggs Benedict also! As you can see even when backpacking, I will be eating well! Don. dilligaf2u2 is offline …
www.discusscooking.com/forums/ campfire-cooking/43187-improvised-cookware.html – 68k – Cached

#3 2008-08-13 16:06:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Eggs(Benedict)cellent. It’s rare (and very nice) when you get such clear testimonials as to the meaning people are attaching to a prospective eggcorn, and the standardness of that meaning for them.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-08-13 16:15:11)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2008-08-13 19:39:05

kem
Eggcornista

You will also find the less eggcornish “Holland day sauce” on a couple of sites (never tried it, but their night sauce is to die for).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2016-08-12 10:55:05

kem
Eggcornista

Holiday sauce reprise: https://www.facebook.com/teamcoco/video … 389217741/ Plus a lot of other abbreviation fun.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2016-08-20 00:45:45

Eoin

kem wrote:

You will also find the less eggcornish “Holland day sauce” on a couple of sites (never tried it, but their night sauce is to die for).

Only after The Seven Words.

Board footer