don » dawn
Spotted in the wild:
- Prior to Governor M. Jodi Rell’s tour of the PEZ candy factory here, she was asked to dawn a blue and white trucker hat with the Pez logo emblazoned on it, so as to be in accordance with food safety laws. (Orange Bulletin, Jan 26, 2006)
- Also attending was Director Gordon Greenberg, conceiver of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, costume designer Thom Heyer, Set Designer Jesse Poleshuck, and casting agent Stephanie Klapper. Ms. Stein dawned a beautiful gown designed by Dario Almiron. (Broadwayworld.com, February 1, 2006)
- Within 24 hours of dawning a Phoenix Coyotes uniform, Steven Reinprecht showed Coyote fans what they were getting in the six-foot center: A winner. (Phoenixcoyotes.com, February 3, 2006)
- The Marines changed modes, dawned their coolest shades and stowed their traditional marching music in their back pocket. (Marine Corps News, Feb 8, 2006)
- Inspired by the 2005 film “Brokeback Mountain.” Brokebacking refers to two cowboys who dawn cowboy hats (and/or other cowboy getup) and gay it up. (The Urban Dictionary, definition of "brokebacking")
Ben Zimmer previously entered the reverse eggcorn dawn»don (on someone) into the database. This one might make even more sense: _don_ belongs to the formal or poetic register, and the more frequent _dawn_ evokes the appearance of something (the sun).