pique » peak
Spotted in the wild:
- Financing The American Dream
Do You Have What Investors Are Looking For? Find Out How To Peak Their Interests (link)
- I think those in charge of the computer aided curriculum should spend some time hanging out with high school or college level students to find out what peaked their interest in computers at an earlier age. (link)
- Short Stories Peak Children’s Interest in Reading Newspapers (Newspaper Association of America)
- NANCE HAXTON: Is there a danger that despite our generosity that Australians may forget and move on?
TIM COSTELLO: Yes there is, and you would expect there to be a peaking of interest, of media attention, of compassion. (The Delphos Herald, OH, February 14, 2005)
Analyzed or reported by:
- Arnold Zwicky at Language Log (On the eggcorn beet)
The substitution pique>peak is very common. It also makes much sense, once the verb _peak_ is equipped with a causative sense and allowed to take a second argument (an object complement), just like _walk_ in “walk the dog” or _grow_ in “grow potatoes”.