Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-29 12:30:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

anywho... [+ intentional eye dialect?]

Google counts on Sept 29, 2006
16,700,000 anyhow
4,340,000 anywho

I have often heard people say “anywho” in place of “anyhow.” I was thinking that “anywho” might be the eye dialect following a verbal dialect in which “anyhow” is pronounced as “any hoo.” Do any of our more scholarly contributors have any knowledge on this?

Suddenly I had this other thought: Do you suppose people who are proud of their regional dialect might resort to an eye dialect in order to retain (and convey) it when writing—particularly on the web? I’d be interested in seeing any true precedent for this.

Examples:

“Anywho, I guess I’ve said enough”
Anywho, I guess I’ve said enough (n/t) – RobVG – 9/11/2006 9:47:44 PM. Long and short, I’ll try to compress my posts a bit (n/t) – RobVG …
http://www.habitablezone.com/community/ … 38366.html

Something small you can fix :p – Invision Power ServicesAnywho, the reason I’m posting is because, I have this curse for picking out detail, and I thought I’d … Anywho, that’s all, Cheers lads and great work! ...
forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=226832 – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Went Wet Wentworth Miller – Tempcity™ BitchLess Blog™ Temp …Anywho, the above picture was posted on the Justusboys Forum CLICK HERE. ... Anywho, every song on the Wet album had some reference to water. ...
www.tempcity.com/bitchless/index.php?showtopic=1467 – 124k – Cached – Similar pages

GameSpot Forums – Need for Speed Most Wanted – What hideout do you …its called a safehouse, but anywho i always use rockport because i like the city better than the country, the only time i go to rosewood is for campus …
www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/needf … 1-30265342 – 52k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-10-03 19:19:37

Sandi

Re: anywho... [+ intentional eye dialect?]

I have also seen ‘anyhoo’ quite often. Google gives it over 2,300,000 hits.
I often see it used more as a repalcement for anyway, rather than anyhow.

Board footer