Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-03 12:00:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'heroin sheik' for 'heroin chic'

‘heroin sheik’ has 2,220 Google hits

And I’m sorry, there is a difference between being naturally thin and being heroin-sheik. I’m so proud that some place had the balls to institute this. ...
missdirected.net/index.php/C4/ – 50k

Critics called the look heroin sheik as the models resembled drug users due to their unhealthily skinny and pale appearance. It is not a coincidence that …
students.depaul.edu/~bcashin1/eng103/paper2.htm – 10k

we scream of retro heroin sheik and tubercular clean gay models with waists like iron poles and eyes like plucked out Grecian gods. ...
absinthe-literary-review.com/poetics/haberman.htm – 9k –

Perhaps ‘heroin sheik’ owes something to the fabulous wealth and sybaritic excesses attached to stereotypical Eastern potentates. Perhaps there is also some lingering influence of Valentino at work; I haven’t seen his ‘Sheik’ films but apparently they had a profound and, some would maintain, lasting influence on the American psyche. No, I don’t believe it either, but that cadaverous look I associate him with seems not too distant from ‘heroin chic’?
Incidentally, ‘sheik’ and ‘chic’ may be homonyms in American English, but in British English it’s likelier to be sheik/shake – (“sheik a stick at” gets 3 Googlehits)

#2 2007-06-20 08:18:25

Dadge
Eggcornista

Re: 'heroin sheik' for 'heroin chic'

sheik is in the database. I just tried to add this comment to the entry:

”(And plenty of lovely “shabby sheiks” out there!)

“I’m sure chic>sheik must originally have been a Cupertino, whether through use of a spellchecker, or just looking it up in the dictionary; otherwise I don’t think most people would’ve come up with this spelling. But since sheiks are kinda chic, its eggcorniness is beyond question.”

Bad that it lets you type it in and then tells it turns out that functionality is disabled, if you’ll pardon the cliche. A

Last edited by Dadge (2007-06-20 08:27:18)

Board footer