Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-07 11:42:19

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'diabollockal' & 'shambollock' for 'diabolical' & 'shambolic'

I chose to be gay to get away from that diabollockal ritual ! Never looked good in a dress . Always the bridesmaid , never the groom …
ilikethewayyoumove.blogspot.com/2005/11/hi-de-hi-campers.html – 18k –

As i find this a sham – bollic , diabollockal outrage I want the sneaky colprit to come clean . So help me fellow Shaker heightians to find this shameful …
theshakerheights.sh/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=e72a93a346aed32fe5e380848a857fd7&action=recent – 26k –

oniell is seen as a god by celtic fans and big eck is seen as a shambollock failure by rangers but look at the stats , big eck won more trophies in a …
totalbet.teamtalk.com/football/yoursaydetail/1,16387,1777_c_1132161,00.html – 65k –

“Bollocks” is a slang term for “testicles” but is more frequently used to signify that something is untrue or obviously flawed or poorly planned/executed and often comes in the form of, “a load of bollocks”, or “a load of old bollocks”. (But not, so far, a shedload of…”.)
“Diabolical’ in common speech has few whiffs of sulphur and demonic imps about it but rather indicates something outrageously inept or an extreme ‘balls-up’ or ‘cock-up’ – synomyms for “a load of bollocks”and perhaps used most frequently in a military context. Equally frequent in this context as well as others is the word “shambolic” from “shambles”, a chaotic mess and originally a butchers market and slaughterhouses.
I think it’s likely that ‘bolic’ is perceived by eggcorners as “bollock” as it imposes a meaningful sound into a word where it seems to belong.

I read somewhere that American English replaced “bullock” and “cock” for “steer” and “rooster” due to Puritan influences. Since “cock” is a common slang term for “penis” I can understand that change but the only reason I can see for the loss of “bullock” is its close resemblance to “bollock”...?

Last edited by Peter Forster (2006-10-10 13:08:13)

Board footer