Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-08 07:25:58

puctab

bought vs brought

This has been my bugbear for as long as I can remember, and seems to transcend the population! e.g. “I was bought up in Kent and lived my teen years in Dorset” or “The Joneses’ kindly bought some wine with them on the picnic”. It happens so often from many different quarters (including Royalty, news readers and other people who really should know better!) that my ears are attuned to each and every time somebody misuses the word “brought” (and, possibly, mispronounces it) it grates inside. More often than not I feel compelled to retort with something like “Was it expensive?” or some such facetious question. Would this qualify as an eggcorn? I wonder.

#2 2006-10-09 16:00:43

Dadge
Eggcornista

Re: bought vs brought

Are you sure you’ve got that the right way round? Lots of people use “brought” instead of “bought” – it’s established dialect in areas like the West Midlands – but I don’t remember hearing it the other way. Can you provide some examples from the interweb?

Board footer