Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-10 13:00:44

jorkel
Eggcornista

English rhymes really just eggcorns of French phrases?

English rhymes as eggcorns of French phrases (or vice versa?)

The d’Antin Manuscript

I think I was about 15 when a family friend turned me on to Luis d’Antin Van Rooten’s extremely clever and hilarious 1967 book Mots d’Heures: Gousses, Rames—The d’Antin Manuscript. The conceit of the book is that it’s an annotated version of an obscure collection of medieval French verse. But it’s actually a homophonic translation of Mother Goose rhymes from English to French. What that means is that Van Rooten translated the sounds of the words, not the words themselves. The resulting “French” versions only make sense as French-accented English. So “Mother Goose Rhymes” becomes “Mots d’Heures: Gousses, Rames”; “Jack and Jill” becomes “Chacun Gille”; and “Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater” becomes “Pis-terre, Pis-terre / Pomme qui n’y terre.” D’Antin’s “translations” use real French words but are utterly nonsensical in French. You don’t have to understand actual French to read d’Antin’s rhymes; you just need a fairly good grasp of French pronunciation rules and an ability to recall Mother Goose. D’Antin’s elaborate, deadpan annotations, in which he purports to extract meaning from the incoherent French, are great parodies of academic pretentiousness. The annotations are amusing even if you don’t know French (I don’t, not really), and I’m sure they’re even funnier if you do.

Here is d’Antin’s version of “Humpty Dumpty”:

Un petit d’un petit
S’étonne aux Halles
Un petit d’un petit
Ah! degrés te fallent
Indolent qui ne sort cesse
Indolent qui ne se mène
Qu’importe un petit d’un petit
Tout Gai de Reguennes.
And here is “Little Miss Muffet”:

Lit-elle messe, moffette,
Satan ne te fête,
Et digne somme coeurs et nouez.
À longue qu’aime est-ce pailles d’Eure.
Et ne Satan bise ailleurs
Et ne fredonne messe. Moffette, ah, ouais!
I think the book was out of print when I learned of it 20 years ago, so I ended up going to the library back then and photocopying the entire book, all 40 pages of it. I stumbled onto that photocopied packet earlier this evening, so I went to Amazon, where I discovered that the book is back in print in a paperback edition from Penguin. I don’t know much about Van Rooten, but a piece that appeared in Time when the book was published identifies him as “a polyglot Manhattan actor.” (It occurred to me that the author’s odd name might be a pseudonym, or even a homophonic translation of his actual name, but a Google search on “Luis d’Antin Van Rooten” and “pseudonym” reveals nothing.) I also discovered tonight that a friend of d’Antin’s named Ormonde de Kay later published a similar book called N’Heures Souris Rames (now out of print), which contained the following version of a classic nursery rhyme:

Georgie Port-régie,
peu digne en paille,
Qui se dégeule sans mais. Dame craille.
Où haine de bouées ce qu’ aime a tout pilé:
Georgie Port-régie règne. Ohé.
Okay, I’m done with this post. Tiens, de.

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-10 13:10:47)

#2 2006-10-28 16:31:59

Jim Dixon

Re: English rhymes really just eggcorns of French phrases?

Reminds me of this old piece I collected years ago, only the supposed language is Italian:

GIACCHE ENNE BINNESTAUCCHE

Uans appona taim uase disse boi. Nemmse Giacche. Naise boi. Live uite ise mamma. Mainde da cao. Uane dei, di spaghetti ise olle ronne aute. Dei goine feinte fromme no fudde. Mamma, sci crais, “Oreie, Giacche! Teicche da cao enne traide erra forre bocchese spaghetti enne somme uaine.” Bai enne bai commese omme Giacche. I garre no fudde, i garre no uaine. Meicchese misteicche enne traidese da cao forre bonce binnese. GIACCHASSE!

Mamma scise engri, enne giompe uppa enne daon craine, “Uare iu! Somme caine cresi?” Denne sci tro olle binnese aute da uindo.

Necchese dai, Giacche lucchese aute da uindo enne oaura iu tinke? Isse disse binnestaucche uate rice appe tru di claoudse. Somme uide! Giacche gos appe da binnestauche. Isse disse ogghere! Isse menne nainte sicchese futte tolle uite tri grin aise! Enne i garra ghusse uate laisse gholde egghese.

Giacche ielle, “Giaiaiao!” Denne isse grabbe da ghuse enne cuicche claimse daon fromme di binnestaucche. Isse cose cioppe-cioppe uite di acchese. Di nainte sicchse futte menne isse folle enne brecche di necche. Auchhe!

Momma giompse fromme gioie. Sci mecchese naise ghusse cacciatore. Bai enne bai dei garre no morre fudde. De goinne dai! Uattse iusse? Uara iu goinne du uene iore ghusse isse cucchede?

#3 2006-10-30 11:44:07

dogsbody

I’ve seen some of those wonderful faux French nursery rhymes before, but that “Giacche” is new to me. Hilarious! I’m stumped on “Somme uide!” though.

#4 2006-10-30 11:56:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

The pseudo-Italian quote also reminds me of a popular pseudo-German warning sign for a machine (which I can’t seem to locate) including such faux German words as “gerfingerpokin” (misspelled?) My Google search didn’t seem to conjure it up, so if anyone else knows what I am talking about and can locate it, please feel free to post it.

#5 2009-03-06 07:19:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

ACHTUNG – ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS — Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets – relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

You spelt gefingerpoken with an i instead of an e in the final syllable. How could you??
As far as I know, the author is “that prolific sage, Anonymus”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2009-03-06 07:33:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

Thanks for digging that up David… after all this time!

#7 2009-03-09 15:17:38

kem
Eggcornista

David’s post on “gefingerpoken” reminded me of something from my childhood. In the days before television arrived in our house my parents subscribed to the Saturday Evening Post. I don’t know why we subscribed-my parents seldom read more than the daily paper. I think I was the only person in the household who even looked at the magazine.

Today Cyrus Curtis’s now defunct Post is famous for its Norman Rockwell cover art. But I remember it best for the humor section. A regular feature of this section was Dave Morrah’s fractured Germish stories, fairy tales and poems. You can see a sample of his work on the web at http://www.fun-with-english.co.uk/2006/ … -hood.html . Morrah published a number of small books in the 1950s and 1960s with his mock German stories. Some of the titles of his books were “Cinderella Hassenpfeffer,” “Fraulein Bo-Peepen,”
“Who ben Kaputen der Robin?,” “Der Wizard in Ozzenland, “ and “Alice in Wunderbarland.”

I suppose the stories would fail the modern test of political correctness.

Last edited by kem (2009-03-09 15:21:18)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2011-02-27 22:31:33

yanogator
Eggcornista

dogsbody wrote:

I’ve seen some of those wonderful faux French nursery rhymes before, but that “Giacche” is new to me. Hilarious I’m stumped on “Somme uide” though.

I don’t know if anyone will see this 2 years later, but “Somme uide!” is “Some weed!”.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#9 2011-03-29 14:55:52

Dr dave the hat

I’m reminded of a “German” song we were given to learn from the blackboard at school. It began something like:

Auf erpundef* tu pfennig reiz,
Auf erpundef trei kohl…

*(I may have the word ‘erpundef’ wrong)

Once we’d had a few moments to try to learn it, the music teacher came in on the piano. The tune was, of course, Half a Pound of Tu’penny Rice…
Dave

Board footer