Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-12 23:18:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

POURous (porous)

Google counts on Oct 12, 2006
16,300,000 “porous”
59,900 “pourous”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A solid item which is “porous” is permeable to liquids. One can easily see how this notion might be connected to the tendancy for liquid to “pour” through/ out of such an item.

Examples:

In this example, people might “pour” across “pourous” borders…

The Western Alliance: Pourous Borders? How about Factory-Trained …Pourous Borders? How about Factory-Trained Customs Idiots. Check out my Blog for a completely ludicrious story from the Northern Border and a Rant on it. ...
westernalliance.blogspot.com/2005/06/pourous-borders-how-about-factory.html – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Molding a Mask [Archive] – The Dented HelmetYou take the slush (the material the item is going to be made out of) and then you pour it in a pourous mold (such as plaster of paris). ...
www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/archive/ … 14247.html – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

small cracks in Yixing teapotsThe Yixing clay is pourous and it ‘breathes’ everytime you pour water into it. You don’t usually see it because you most likely have tea leaves in it. ...
www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch- … _id=00B3U3 – 4k – Cached – Similar pages

Independent Media Center of Philadelphia | Ain’t the Net Grand …anyone who allows 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants into a pourous border … That’s because Lake Pontchartrain continues to pour through a two – block …
www.phillyimc.org/es/2006/08/28030.shtml – 462k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Bericht ber das 1. Symposium zur Thanatologie am 21. Juni 1995File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
The only way to do this task was to have a cloth of relatively pourous cloth to pour the ink. through the cloth and then the sand would stay on the cloth so …
www.uni-mainz.de/Organisationen/thanato … heft01.pdf – Similar pages

Green Home Building: Lightweight Concrete Questions and AnswersI was at a standstill when someone told me to check into pourous concrete. ... Q: Can your product be used to pour a new driveway over a old one ? ...
www.greenhomebuilding.com/QandA/LWconcreteQandA.htm – 80k – Cached – Similar page

Sport Twin › Forums › Model Specific › XB9 – XB12 › Switched to …Faulty or too pourous seals cause leaks . Synthetics can make leaks more apparent … If you do , explain to me why a synthetic 20 – 50 oil will pour faster …
www.sporttwin.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=19208.html – 58k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-10-13 11:39:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: POURous (porous)

Jorkel, ‘pour’ and ‘porous’ have different roots, the former imposes a suitable meaning on the latter … I think it’s definitely an eggcorn! And despite the fact that I’ve never been right so far, I suggest that in celebration you should porous both a drink. Cheers!

Board footer