Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-10-16 19:01:09

kateo

Carafe > giraffe

I was reading some old Dave Barry columns this afternoon and came across a reference to a publication which advertised a “1/2 giraffe of wine”. I turned up a couple Google results for references to “giraffe of wine”, but no original occurrences, nor did I find any discussion of it in these forums. I guess a carafe has a long neck, vaguely like a giraffe. Thoughts? Has this been discussed before?

#2 2006-10-16 19:42:35

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Carafe > giraffe

119 Google counts for “giraffe of wine”

I think this has good potential for an eggcorn given that a carafe does have an extended neck, as you point out.

Examples

BBC – Radio 2 – Mark Radciffe Biography PageIs sipping slowly from a giraffe of wine! DIGGING MY OWN GRAVE IN THE STAFFROOM I’m digging my own grave In the school’s vegetable garden …
www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffe/poem.shtml – 37k – Cached – Similar pages

Secondo Del VitoShare a giraffe of wine and a sordid dip in the brine. Dave Village – www.davevillage.co.uk. Dave Village ranks in size between a hamlet and a town. ...
www.vitomusic.co.uk/Archive/secondoindex.htm – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

The Giraffe’s Pen (기린 만년필): Experiments – [ Translate this page ]I had a korean friend who, when we were out to dinner once, meant to order a carafe of wine and actually ordered a “giraffe of wine”! =) ...
giraffepen.blogspot.com/2006/06/experiments_26.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer