Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-16 14:01:09

kateo

Carafe > giraffe

I was reading some old Dave Barry columns this afternoon and came across a reference to a publication which advertised a “1/2 giraffe of wine”. I turned up a couple Google results for references to “giraffe of wine”, but no original occurrences, nor did I find any discussion of it in these forums. I guess a carafe has a long neck, vaguely like a giraffe. Thoughts? Has this been discussed before?

#2 2006-10-16 14:42:35

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Carafe > giraffe

119 Google counts for “giraffe of wine”

I think this has good potential for an eggcorn given that a carafe does have an extended neck, as you point out.

Examples

BBC – Radio 2 – Mark Radciffe Biography PageIs sipping slowly from a giraffe of wine! DIGGING MY OWN GRAVE IN THE STAFFROOM I’m digging my own grave In the school’s vegetable garden …
www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffe/poem.shtml – 37k – Cached – Similar pages

Secondo Del VitoShare a giraffe of wine and a sordid dip in the brine. Dave Village – www.davevillage.co.uk. Dave Village ranks in size between a hamlet and a town. ...
www.vitomusic.co.uk/Archive/secondoindex.htm – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

The Giraffe’s Pen (기린 만년필): Experiments – [ Translate this page ]I had a korean friend who, when we were out to dinner once, meant to order a carafe of wine and actually ordered a “giraffe of wine”! =) ...
giraffepen.blogspot.com/2006/06/experiments_26.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer