Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-20 16:56:42

jorkel
Eggcornista

WEAR-with-ALL (wherewithal)

Google counts on Oct. 20, 2006
1,760,000 wherewithal (or…290,000 “have the wherewithal”)
28,100 “wear with all” (or… 60 “have the wear with all” )—eggcorn.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Wherewithal” means resources.
As an eggcorn, “wear-with-all” could possibly refer to versatile clothing: useable for all purposes. This interpretation captures the notion of a resource. But, since I can’t read the utterers’ mind, an alternative interpretation of “wear-with-all” is the ability to weather whatever comes …perhaps even have the fortitude to endure the wear.

Examples:

CNN.com – Transcripts… largely been untouched and they within them the wear-with-all to continue or to … We have the capability. We have the ability. We have the will and we …
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0205/12/sm.01.html – 31k – Cached – Similar pages

hwg-basics archive: Re: [. . . ] Placement -where it is headed. by …Just because the Web is there doesn’t mean that all business folks have the wear-with-all to deal with the very liquid nature of this gig. ...
archives.hwg.org/hwg-basics/5.0.2.1.2.20001214092522.0310a7e0@mail.mindspring.com – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

[DOC] Faculty SenateFile Format: Microsoft Word – View as HTML
He went on to explain that not many of the people in that discretionary category have the wear-with-all to raise money like higher education does: we can …
www.depts.ttu.edu/senate/archives/2002-2003/2-3-03.doc – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/bawidamannPeople who have the wear-with-all to cut their own path through life. Entrepreneurs, Designers, Artists, musicians, writers, fabricators, people that create …
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=806012 – 135k – Cached – Similar pages

The Motley Fool: Iomega In Fooldom TodayWhile i’m sure OEM’s have shown interest in n.hand, I’m mush less sure that any of them have the wear-with-all to jump on board and run with it in a big way …
www.fool.com/Iomega/1997/iomega971106.htm – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

WallSt.net – Better Tools For Better Investors“I would ask investors to look at KVH as a company that is proactive and very forward thinking and has the wear-with-all, the capital capabilities, ...
www.wallst.net/editorials/article.asp?id=503 – 55k – Cached – Similar pages

Truth Hurts, Avoid It – Powered By Aetheri.comPretty much since no one else has the wear with all to listen to it. And people, I do realize that sometimes we think of things out of proportion, ...
www.aetheri.com/journal/justagrl – 30k – Cached – Similar pages

They Said March 2002I’d like to think the FS WO has the wear-with-all to move money to fire that has been taken out so we can accomplish what has to happen to meet Congress’ ...
www.wildlandfire.com/arc/2002c_mar.htm – 331k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-10-20 16:57:38)

#2 2007-06-18 15:56:14

knirirr

Re: WEAR-with-ALL (wherewithal)

I’ve seen this one also, as a comment on a since-deleted Livejournal thread (see http://tri-blog.livejournal.com/20465.html).
The comment was “I’m glad you had the wear-with-all to do something about this.”

Board footer