Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-30 16:39:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

FRACTernal twins (fraternal)

Google counts on Oct. 30, 2006
11,700,000 fraternal
1060 fracternal
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Fraternal” means “pertaining to brothers”. Next, fraternal twins are twins that derive from separate eggs—(as brothers conceived/born at different times would). This is in contrast to identical twins who derive from the same egg and involve a subsequent schism into two halves—or, broadly speaking, a fracture. So, ironically, the mistake of refering a fraternal twin as a “fracternal” would indeed get the above concept backwards. Nevertheless, this seems to be the only sense one could derive for this potential eggcorn.

(At any rate, the stem “fract” implies a break, and that notion must be incorporated into the imagery if “fracternal” is to qualify as an eggcorn.)

Examples:

Untitled DocumentFracternal twins – are the result of the simultaneous fertilization of two egg cells; they may be of different sexes and are no more alike than ordinary …
www.chemsoc.org/ExemplarChem/entries/20 … ossary.htm – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Reviews for Twins: DVD: Arnold Schwarzenegger,Danny …Vincent Benedict {Danny Devito} has no idea whatsoever that Julius {Arnold Schwartenegger} is his fracternal twin, separated at birth. ...
www.amazon.com/Twins-Arnold-Schwarzeneg … 0783226926 – 74k – Cached – Similar pages

Maniac Muslim > TwinsOh there are many fascinating facts about twins they have a own language and it doesnt matter if they are identical or fracternal . I had about 3 pair twins …
www.maniacmuslim.com/forums/lofiversion … t9688.html – 13k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Forums – Search ResultsMy second ever birth were fracternal twins boy/girl. I’ve had about eleven births and three sets of twins in that – no hack – no trying to get twins. ...
forums.thesimsresource.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=892066 – 33k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Which operating system are you?? [Archive] – Military PhotosWindows XP: I’m pretty much a fracternal twin of my brother Windows 2000. I’m just a little better looking, while he seems to have 1 up with strength and …
www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/i … 22350.html – 13k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer