Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-01 11:36:58

maddog

Lick a gift horse

When my stepson was about 12, he said “Don’t lick a gift horse in the mouth.” Seems like good advice!

#2 2006-11-01 15:18:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Lick a gift horse

Just to add some documentation to maddog’s eggcorn, the following site discusses the original phrase:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/117000.html

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth

As horses age their teeth begin to project further forward each year and so their age can be estimated by checking how prominent the teeth are. This incidentally is also the source of another teeth/age related phrase – long in the tooth.

The advice given in the ‘don’t look…’ proverb is: when given a present, be grateful for your good fortune and don’t look for more by examining it to assess its value.

My assessment is that “lick” and “look” are close enough in sound to substitute for one another in eggcorns. Also, given that many people did not previously know the origin of the phrase “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth,” I find “Don’t lick a gift horse in the mouth” a worthy eggcorn with more tangible imagery than the original.

#3 2014-07-27 21:31:40

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Lick a gift horse

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer