Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-06 10:19:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

HARDfelt (heartfelt)

Patschwieterman included this potential eggcorn among his list of abandoned attempts…
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?pid=931

Google counts on Nov 6, 2006
11,400,000 heartfelt
893 hardfelt

It’s difficult to make a fully convincing case for “hardfelt” being an eggcorn of “heartfelt” because the former is often used in contexts quite removed from “heartfelt.” So, I will let the examples speak for themselves and defer the judgement to another authority.

Examples

This one I find convincing…

eBay – Back To Bedlam PA Reviews… so was pleasantly suprised after listening to the whole cd. all of the songs are just as hardfelt and meaningful. i would definitely recommend this cd! ...
search.reviews.ebay.com/Back-To-Bedlam-PA_UPC_075678375224_W0QQfrtsZ40QQfvcsZ1226QQsoprZ48151267QQupvrZ2 – 71k – Nov 4, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

...but one’s like this next one seem to use hardfelt as a malapropism for hard…

anthony js: February 2006Those changes created national debate and sparked some hardfelt opposition to the PM and his everchanging cabinet. Gun laws, GST, the referendum, wars, ...
anthonyjs.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_anthonyjs_archive.html – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

Others…

The Rose Review NEW NEWS NETWORK: World Headlines, Top Stories …Holiday cheer draws near, hardfelt greedings are shared, and entertainment folk fret over what to buy who in order to impress, suppress, make up or suck up. ...
trrnnn.blogspot.com/2005_12_04_trrnnn_archive.html – 45k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Substance: Music: BetrayedIf you had to buy just one hardcore album this year this would be the one. Keeping the old school sound and great hardfelt lyrics. Great CD! ...
www.amazon.com/Substance-Betrayed/dp/B000FZESIA – 113k – Cached – Similar pages

Workforce Management Community Center: Benefits & CompensationAccording to the FLSA standards my position should be considered exempt status however that has been a lengthy hardfelt battle with my employer which has …
www.workforce.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t … orum=52&14 – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

Scott Sommers’ Taiwan Weblog : Taiwanese Language EducationI’m taking a simple Taiwanese class now and am finding it very hard going, but I know that this is a hardfelt issue for many Taiwanese. ...
scottsommers.blogs.com/taiwanweblog/2005/11/taiwanese_langu.html – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

ProTeacher BusyBoard CommunityIf parents only knew the hardfelt thought that goes into a decision of retention. Our teachers and administrators got together and developed a policy which …
www.proteacher.net/.../dcpost.cgi?quote … 3778&omm=6 – 16k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

THE COLLECTED WORKS OF MAHATMA GANDHI VOLUME THREE THE …... 1898. hospital is to be continued, as I venture to think it must be, seeing that, during its existence, it has answered a hardfelt need. ...
www.forget-me.net/en/Gandhi/cw.txt – Similar pages

ATV Source – Racing – 2006 – A Hard Felt Goodbye to Todd VescoviATV Source – Your definitive source for all-terrain vehicles and ATV recreation information, featuring industry news, racing news, riding areas, ...
www.atvsource.com/articles/racing/2006/ … escovi.htm – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-11-06 22:04:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: HARDfelt (heartfelt)

Jorkel—I think you’re right. (And thanks for giving one of my orphans a new home.) This seems to be one of those cases where a new word had eggcornish origins but has taken on a new sense of its own.

I think a lot of the authors you cite are referring to people who “take something hard”—which isn’t necessarily what “heartfelt” usually means.

Board footer