Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-07 11:53:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'brass tax' for 'brass tacks'

Brass tacks is an object used in the popular expression “get down to the brass tacks”. The expression usually means clearing out confusing details and finding out the real facts about something. The etymology of the expression likely has roots in the way fabric manufacturers used to mark out a yard in tacks on the counter so customers could buy their fabric accordingly. – Wikipedia

‘down to brass tacks’ 147,000 ghits
‘down to brass tax’ 584 ghits

I’m not too sure what imagery possible eggcorners may be envisaging here, but for many people there’s nothing quite as fundamental as money; ‘tax’ fits the bill here, and ‘brass’ is often used as a synonym for money.

Let’s cut to the chase and get right down to brass tax. Now that the entire STAR TREK saga (minus the animated series) has been released on DVD, ...
trekweb.com/articles/2006/03/01/4405ca6258914.shtml – 46k

When it comes down to brass tax, thirty pieces of silver is just a good old fashion rock and roll record. It’s the kind of music that makes your neighbors …
indianapolismusic.net/pics3/cd_d2p.php – 25k – 5 Nov 2006

Now lets get down to brass tax.—-I’ve been reading on the web and on this board that I should be saving my digital originals and working from copies. ...
www.digicamhelp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c … 1154615199 – 35k

So now that the big announcement is over, let’s get down to brass tax as they say. I met Mr. Wesley Gellar at the Chicago Wizard World Comic Convention that …
www.yourmomsbasement.com/archives/2005/ … f_t_6.html – 16k -

#2 2006-11-08 13:13:57

MartyArtie

Re: 'brass tax' for 'brass tacks'

Not too certain about Wikipedia’s etymology for the expression – personally I’d go with the Word Origins site at
http://www.wordorigins.org/Words/Letter … tacks.html
and say it’s likely to be rhyming slang for ‘facts’ ...

Last edited by MartyArtie (2006-11-08 13:15:41)

Board footer