Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-13 14:56:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Don't MIX words. (mince)

Google counts on Nov 13, 2006
37,000 “don’t mince words”
93 “don’t mix words”—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

The idiom “don’t mince words” means to tell it like it is without restaint. Someone unfamiliar with this idiom may think it is actually “don’t mix words”—in the sense of sending a mixed message by not being completely clear.

Examples:

Jump5, 02/04 – Interviews – Christian Music TodayYou don’t mix words at your concerts. You talk about God a lot. Have you ever been asked to tone down your message, maybe by the folks at Disney? Libby: No. ...
www.christianitytoday.com/music/intervi … 0204.html 94k – Cached – Similar pages

Fed Up – Topic Powered by eve communityDon’t mix words with me. If you can’t take jokes on an assumed JOKE thread, don’t post. Just as I/O knows not one thing of your manhood, etc, ...
forums.theledger.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2221079265/m/6081094275/p/15 – 118k – Cached – Similar pages

Think Progress » McClellan Breaches Truth About Levee FailureDon’t mix words mighty aphrodite. These are the facts. The levees were breached and people knew they would have a pretty damn good idea they were gonna go. ...
thinkprogress.org/2006/03/06/mcclellan-katrina-levee-breach/ – 79k – Cached – Similar pages

Should I bring a small folding chair? [Waiting in line/queues at …When it comes to kids’ safety at theme parks, I don’t mix words or leave ambiguity! :) I’m sure as a mom, you can appreciate that! Adrienne …
mousepad.mouseplanet.com/archive/index.php/t-26998.html – 15k – Cached – Similar pages

Yes, bribes.—systemcleaner’s comment on “Feds reject Eolas …Don’t mix words, Hayes. Come on, Hayes, don’t pretend to be stupid. I knew from your talkbacks way back before the guilty verdict was given to Microsoft …
talkback.zdnet.com/5208-3513-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=2092&messageID=44098&start=1 – 63k – Cached – Similar pages

Motherhood Uncensored: Sure She Can Walk, but Can She Canter?The other animal harness backpack I do own and I don’t mix words about it, it’s a leash. SO WHAT!? And I couldn’t wait to buy it. ...
motherhooduncensored.typepad.com/motherhood_uncensored/2006/07/sure_she_can_wa.html – 62k – Cached – Similar pages

Insiders – 20/02/2005: Lifeguard angry over seven hour semantics …... taking part in interrogating prisoners over there in Iraq,” and just let the people know, just tell us honestly what’s going on and don’t mix words. ...
www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2005/s1306509.htm – 5k – Cached – Similar pages

Observations of a puzzling world: February 2006The label on the mop says “Lavapavimenti” – or “Wash floor” (Italian’s don’t mix words – they just tell it like it is). Caterina even shared the story of …
puzzlingworld.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_puzzlingworld_archive.html – 96k – Cached – Similar pages

Journal/DiaryThese Mullahs don’t mix words and they know what they are aiming at to achieve out of these talks in the interest of Somalia and the Horn of Africa without …
mudugnet.com/Aragtida/October/29_khartoum%20talks.htm – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Lauren… outspoken, honest, free spirited, spontanious, easy going, sensitive and caring person. I don’t mix words and I am not shy about expressing how I feel. ...
inthe13thhour.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_memberprofiletile=showdefault&_c=memberprofilet… – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Old Blue Bus: A message from MerleOld country folk don’t mix words, they tell it like it is! Thanks for taking the bus down this dirt road. April 26, 2006 8:52 AM …
oldbluebus.blogspot.com/2006/04/message-from-merle_25.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-11-20 14:27:15

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Don't MIX words. (mince)

Hmmmm, the Forum must be getting too large to search. Mince/Mix suddenly found its way into the Eggcorn Database without any mention of its appearance in the Forum.

#3 2006-11-21 11:55:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Don't MIX words. (mince)

Jorkel, I’ve just googled ‘mix mince eggcorn’ and yours is the only entry to appear – normally this gives access to those parts of the forum otherwise hidden, the early bits. Perhaps there are some hidden hidden bits? All very perplexing…

Board footer