Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-19 21:17:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

MasterMINED (mind)

Google counts on Nov. 19, 2006
8.090,000 “mastermind”
415 “mastermined”—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

The Eggcorn Database declared the mine(d)/mind mixup questionable. But with all potential eggcorns, the context can either make or break it. Perhaps the current context—mastermind—might present a stronger case for an eggcorn. In the examples below, one is struck by the notion that something secretive is “mastermined;” Mining is an activity conducted out of sight, so too is something which is “mastermined”.

Examples:

Randy Crow – Democrat For President… make it look as if the fed was not executing McVeigh just to be getting rid of him to hide the fact someone else master mined the Oklahoma City bombing. ...
www.randycrow.com/9-11.asp – 56k – Cached – Similar pages

Indian terrorism : the judgment – No Peace Without Justice… then the suspicion that the Indian government has indeed master-mined the attack by supplying the weapons to the willing people cannot be ruled out. ...
www.npwj.org/?q=npwj_topics/miscellanea … e_judgment – 32k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] 2004 GENERAL ELECTION AT A GLANCEFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
of redistricting master-mined by Republicans backed by House majority leader Tom Delay. The. Democrats’ best chances are in open-seat races, including those …
www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/politics/campaig … erview.pdf – Similar pages

JSTOR: The Expulsion of Illegal Aliens from Nigeria: A Study in …... of armed robbery in which many jobless aliens participated freely, though it was true that most of these were organised and master-mined by Nigerians. ...
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0001-9909(198510)84%3A337%3C539%3ATEOIAF%3E2.0.CO%3B2-P – Similar pages

Tanney pg. 20But years before Ray Kroc had master-mined his blueprints for the McDonald-izing of America, there were only the local luncheonettes, and coffee shops, ...
catskills.brown.edu/tanney/bungalow20.html – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Someone Tell the Marines Fallujah is Pacified | TPMCafeEven with all that, the Bush Administration has master-mined a magnificient propaganda effort worthy of Goebbels. Keep repeating the big lie over and over …
www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/12/2/153316/796 – 62k – Cached – Similar pages

Nazret.com EthioBlog – Ethiopia gripped by fear of regimeAll the unarmed citizens who were gunned down by Meles the terrorist master mined, was the result of the Ethiopian people provoking him to kill us, period! ...
nazret.com/blog/index.php?title=ethiopia_gripped_by_fear_of_regime&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 – 172k – Cached – Similar pages

Sherlock Holmes Cases(d) who master-mined the crime. Directions:. There are 18 clues you can get from visiting 18 different places. Airport. Bank. Cemetery. Cinema. Courthouse …
www.monmouth.com/~literature/mystery/sh … _cases.htm – 55k – Cached – Similar pages

Condemnation of UNTAET’s acts toward CPD-RDTL… with political conspiracies, lies and false accusations in order to continue master mined the oppression and repression against the dignity and freedom …
www.etan.org/et2001c/october/01-06/00condem.htm – 13k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-11-19 21:26:15

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: MasterMINED (mind)

There are other idioms where “mind” and “mine(d)” might be interchanged. In all cases, misspelling could be suspected, but one should also carefully examine the context of the idiom with the replaced word…

1,100,000 “mind over matter”
211 “mined over matter”—eggcorn?

381,000 “mine of information”
380 “mind of information”—eggcorn?

363,000 “your guess is as good as mine”
60 “your guess is as good as mind”—eggcorn?

I’m not too convinced about any of these.

Last edited by jorkel (2006-11-20 11:00:31)

#3 2006-11-20 12:10:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: MasterMINED (mind)

Jorkel, I am convinced by ‘mind of information’ as I’ve heard it many times before and once my ‘mine’ was gently corrected to ‘mind’ by an eggcorner, amused at my youthful mistake. How could I have forgotten that?
I am reminded of my earlier post on “he underminded me” where it seemed clear the eggcorner was referring to her mind rather than personal subsidence. As for ‘mastermined’, I rather like it and feel it too seems to be a genuine eggcorn, but we both know I do not approach these things with the rigour I should given my ill-deserved ‘eggcornista’ honorific.

Board footer