Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-04 09:19:17

psygnisfive

Absolute in ahh!

So I’m browsing Digg, in the comments about a video on the Hubble Deep Field images, and someone says “This video puts me in an ahh, just lost for words.”

It’s an interesting eggcorn, in place of “in awe”. The logical source would be from the supposed sound you might make when actually in awe. Googling for “I was in ahh*” (no quotes), produces 2,040 Ghits, with such examples as “I saw this movie and I was in AHH. I liked it tho!”, “As I looked up I was in ahh.”, “They all stood out equally & everytime I saw them ride I was in ahh.”, and “i was in ahh for the rest of the show.”.

#2 2006-12-04 10:08:52

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Absolute in ahh!

Google counts on Dec. 4, 2006:
1,160,000 “in awe of”
61 “in ahh of” —eggcorn.
??? “in ah of” —eggcorn (but hard to count with Google)

The Google counts are low, but the construction appears to be a genuine eggcorn. Perhaps this is even the first eggcorn which invokes onomatopoeia in its delivery. A really nice find.

Examples:

Seasons of Sabino Canyon in Tucson pictures from mountains photos …Again i am in Ahh of your photos! theyre great! Gina. said vberke. 2004.12.19 at 23:05:23 PST. wmcaroline2003. These are great photos. ...
outdoors.webshots.com/album/161079685gNbHRk – 66k – Cached – Similar pages

Not A Dollarshort: Can I breathe now?Although I did not see the old site, I am in AHH of this fabulous look. It is a breath of fresh air in a sea of sameness. An so I thank you for it, ...
mena.typepad.com/dollarshort/2001/10/can_i_breathe_n_1.html – 36k – Cached – Similar pages

Nat’ Academies Press, Starting Out Right: A Guide to Promoting …In good instruction, these three goals are not only addressed but are also wed integrated, enabling young readers to gain proficiency in ah of them. ...
fermat.nap.edu/books/0309064104/html/5.html – 43k – Cached – Similar pages

The Future In LiberiaAt the end of the meeting we all gathered around and were just in ah of what God had done. The ways he had moved in peoples lives. Liberia is on our hearts …
kpgi.org/the_future_in_lybia.htm – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer