Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-04 15:55:08

balvenie

full and undevoted attention

I just found this website and I think it is great! So many of these egg corns show up in everyday use, without any way of sharing them or protecting our language. Thanks for starting Eggcorns.

An old friend of mine with whom I have completely lost touch was prone to saying that she would soon give me (or anyone else for that matter) her full and undevoted attention. She truly had no idea the phrase was actually “undivided attention”. This same person also liked to say “for all intense purposes”, however a close approximation to this is already in the egg corn database.

#2 2006-12-04 22:45:41

YIWaite

Re: full and undevoted attention

I remember while at school, especially during those balmy hot summer days, giving the teachers my full and undevoted attention. I may use this line next time I have a visiting salesperson, politician or peddler of religion…

#3 2006-12-08 17:40:25

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: full and undevoted attention

Your friend is not alone. I get 1440 Google hits for “undevoted attention” (vs. 936,000 for “undivided attention”. Most appear to be honest uses of the phrase, although a few are also people pointing it out as a funny thing a coworker said…

Now that I have your undevoted attention, this post is in relation to the program “Mongrel Nation” that recently was broadcast on Britain TV
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124164

However, when you are ready for Zambia, make sure that it has your undevoted attention so that you could spend an ample time in South Luangwa, Lower Zambezi
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadsele … d=34608726

Each of the last three manages to capture his undevoted attention at one point or another, whether it be out of love, a sense of duty or by
www.tomahawktheatre.co.uk/reviews.asp

I suppose if one thought the phrase meant “All the attention one hasn’t devoted somewhere else” then this substitution would make sense. But these mostly seem to be using the phrase to mean “full attention” and I have trouble making “undevoted” fit that meaning.

Board footer