Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-08 08:24:24

domib

Ad ear to (adhere to)

As in “there are a lot of rules you need to ad ear to”.

“The zoo is also a no smoking area, which personally I think is fantastic for both the kids and the animals! Some people may find this hard to ad ear to though.” http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi … gland.html

I think the semantic aspect here is that if you add your ear to something, you listen to it or pay attention to it. So when you add ear to the rules, you’re paying attention to them. I’ve no idea why it should be “ad ear” and not “add ear”. But I get two googles for “ad ear” and none for “add ear”. I found it in an offline document.

#2 2006-12-08 09:41:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Ad ear to (adhere to)

I like it, domib, and it looks pretty eggcornish to me – I tried running the letters together and adding ‘to’ to find:
‘adear to’ – 372 ghits
‘addear to’ – 81 ghits
but by adding an ‘h’ which certainly reinforces the idea of listening closely, and brings us a little closer to the original, we find;
adhear to – 24,200 ghits
addhear to – 61 ghits
Separating the latter into ‘add hear’ gives us 34 ghits –

Failure to add hear to this will have you placed on a permanent ban, no exceptions and no second chances. Ranks and Smilies …
www.majesticscificentral.com/forum/faq.php – 28k – Cached

I’ll add hear to my presets…. I’ve heard that XM doesn’t change their channel line up as often as Siriius – hopefully some acoustic/folk/singer-songwriter …
www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?p=508262 – 70k – Cached

A nice find!

Board footer