Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-09 11:10:50

jorkel
Eggcornista

OverALL (overhaul)

To find “overall” as an eggcorn of “overhaul” with Google, I had to construct some very restrictive phrases which forced “overall” to be used as a verb. I suspect the numbers could be increased by sorting through less restrictive lists, but, here’s what I’ve got so far…

Google counts on Dec. 9, 2006
3 “plan to overall the”—eggcorns
3 “need to overall the”—eggcorns
Probably many more, but all very hard to find thanks to lots of flexible, correct usages of “overall.”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

When we overhaul something, I suppose we change it overall.

Examples:

Some of these examples are pretty high profile sources. I wonder if their spellchecker made the change?

CNN.com – TranscriptsAt a stop in Charlotte, he unveiled a plan to overall the federal job training program. The plan would double the number of Americans enrolled in skills …
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0404/05/ip.00.html – 76k – Cached – Similar pages

Harry and Louise return… the advertising characters used early in the Clinton administration to deep six the former president’s plan to overall the nation’s healthcare system. ...
www.thevillager.com/vil_94/harryandlouise.html – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

PKT message, Bretton Woods Comission… the privately organized “Bretton Woods Commission” headed by Paul Volcker, will announce this summer an “ambitious plan to overall the world monetary …
archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pkt/1994m05/msg00136.htm – 9k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Greenspan Tells Same Tired StoryKen wrote: > In other words: > > We need to overall Social Security. Oh wait isn’t that the same story that’s been Mr. Greenspan has been very wobbly about …
www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Communi … adid:16904 – 57k – Cached – Similar pages

Spy shots of upcoming Mercedes-Benz small SUV | Concept SUVs …Mercedes needs to get this small SUV out quick, in fact the B class should have been an SUV, there was no need to overall the A class. Any new when? ...
forums.automotive.com/.../70/10298/suv/concept-suvs/spy-shots-of-upcoming-mercedes-benz-small-suv/index.html – 40k – Dec 7, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Expresso | IndyStar.comBy the way: I’ll be appearing on “Abdul in the Morning” at 8:20 a.m. to discuss the new graduation rate numbers and the need to overall education in the …
blogs.indystar.com/expresso/archives/2006/11/before_you_buy.html – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Straphangers Campaign MTA Accountability PetitionIt sounded like he was FINALLY talking about the MTA’s need to overall it’s accountability system and it’s never ending request for new money from fare …
www.straphangers.org/mtareform/petition … hp?no=3400 – Similar pages

D&D Commoners Make Plenty of Money – Wizards Community… and are quite capable of living very comfortable lives, without the need to overall the entire D&D economy just to make it more “realistic” for them. ...
boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=719384 – 260k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-12-09 12:00:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: OverALL (overhaul)

I’m sure it’s no help jorkel, but remembering your recent ‘in the long hall’ post I’ve just tried ‘overhall’ which yields 72,600 ghits. I was wondering whether any American dialects have the ‘dropped aitch’ of many BrEnglish ones which could account for the ‘overall’ usage?
Suspecting that a touch of hyper-correction might be creeping in I tried “blue overhalls” – oh yes, 79 ghits – but by this point I’m no longer sure what I’m looking at or for! (Told you it’d be no help…)

Board footer