Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-10 16:33:09

jorkel
Eggcornista

ReFURNISH (refurbish)

This one’s a toughie to track down. Good luck to others who might try. Let’s just say from personal experience I used to hear/understand “refurnished” whenever someone actually said “refurbished,” and it was probably many years before I noted the distinction. To “refurbish” means to renovate. And, if one is talking about refurbishing apartments, it might actually involve refurnishing! So, it’s very easy for a person unfamiliar with the more sophisticated term to simply mishear and misinterpret it.

The only other way I might track down this eggcorn is to locate another firsthand account where someone discusses the very same mixup. So far I haven’t turned up any such discussion when placing “refurnish” and “refurbish” into the same Google query.

#2 2006-12-27 18:52:24

furby100

Re: ReFURNISH (refurbish)

It’s a reinterpretation of a word (furbish) that is not used in common discourse, into a more common one, which seems to be the source of many eggcorns.

Board footer