Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-14 17:13:48

Skip

motions = notions

I recently heard someone mention that they felt like they were “going through the notions”. Could motions/notions be an eggcorn?

#2 2006-12-14 20:31:59

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: motions = notions

I like it. And, I’d say it’s an eggcorn. Here are a few from the internet:

NFC central – NFL – National Football Conference Central, National …Neither is simply going through the notions, as sometimes happens with veterans who get signing bonuses with new teams. Washington in particular has sold …
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_47_225/ai_80680574 – 29k – Cached – Similar pages

The Carcass of my soul «lifeless-ness? i feel it everytime, like im actively on the move but yet, i feel im just going through the notions, and wishing the day will end …
ladyprototype.wordpress.com/2006/08/16/the-carcass-of-my-soul/ – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Taliban and Indian MuslimsThe Indians have no warrant to be enamoured of the US, simply because it is going through the notions of waging a bitter war against its own creation the …
www.hvk.org/articles/1201/136.html – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

[DOC] ELASTICAFile Format: Microsoft Word – View as HTML
then I felt like going through the notions. first impressions never remain. we were sitting in, waiting. and you told me your plan …
laurentv.ifrance.com/elastica.doc – Similar pages

#3 2006-12-27 18:57:14

furby100

I think this is more of a malapropism. I don’t see how notions can be interpreted with its usual meaning in this context.

#4 2006-12-27 22:00:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

Furby100 wrote:

I think this is more of a malapropism. I don’t see how notions can be interpreted with its usual meaning in this context.

The way I interpret “going through the notions” (as an eggcorn) is in the sense of daydreaming. (One definition of a notion is “an impression of something experienced.”) In at least one example I posted, it sounds as if the speaker is reflecting on his/her actions in a detached manner.

The Carcass of my soul «lifeless-ness? i feel it everytime, like im actively on the move but yet, i feel im just going through the notions, and wishing the day will end …
ladyprototype.wordpress.com/2006/08/16/the-carcass-of-my-soul/ – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer