Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-27 02:34:39

abamji

Off his own back

I cannot find this one, but it’s a phrase that irritates me!

It refers to someone doing something spontaneously or unprompted, but should, of course, be off his own bat.

Happy New Year!

Andrew Bamji

#2 2006-12-27 08:44:45

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Off his own back

This one appears in the forum a couple/three times. To locate those entries, click on the “Search” menu on the red panel above, and enter the word “bat”.

Off one’s own bat >> back by ffranc Slips, innovations and reshapings 1 2006-12-13 06:37:48 by patschwieterman
“Off one’s own back” instead of “Off one’s own bat”. by RGBunce Contribute! 0 2006-10-05 10:55:54 by RGBunce
new eggcorn by Joyce Contribute! 1 2006-09-08 15:20:31 by jorkel
“Off one’s own back” for “off one’s own bat” by jude

To spot the eggcorn with Google, try placing the phrase in quotes, e.g., “off his own back”. I got about 850 hits—not all eggcorns. The first sighting below speaks of the origin of the phrase...

Re: Phrase origin… where a batsman scores runs ‘off his own bat’. FWIW Annoyingly, this phrase is occasionally misheard and misquoted as ‘off his own back’.
www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/27/messages/166.html – 6k – Cached – Similar pages

Sway – This Is My Demo – Review – Stylus MagazineOh. And solely off his own back, his own touring, and his own hustle, he’s went and merked both Fiddy and The Game to win “Best Hip-Hop Act” at the MOBOs …
www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/sway/this-is-my-demo.htm – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer