Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-27 14:16:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'abalonely' for 'abalone'

abalone – 3,090,000 ghits
abalonely – 110 ghits

I think sometimes that there is an automatic pilot who continues scraps of thought or process that we discard and this can result in apparent eggcorns – like this one perhaps. Then again, it may be that part of us has a certain sympathy for edible invertebrates and the the ‘alone’ bit of ‘abalone’ exerts some subliminal pressure which obliges us to complete the suggestion by adding an ‘ly’. Perhaps if it was a bivalve rather than a univalve it wouldn’t feel so solitary?

Sink your teeth into Forever Phoenix Fish and Jumping Dumplings; don’t forget the Abalonely Embracing Mee served with Braised Heavenly Garden Vegetables. ...
inkpot.com/theatre/98reviews/98revahkongbirtpart.html – 12k – Cached

CRAFTMARKET, $65.00. HEALING TIBBET · HEALING TIBBET. CRAFTMARKET, $44.00. SO ABALONELY necklace · SO ABALONELY neckla… CRAFTMARKET, $59.00 …
www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=45452 – 32k – Cached

Hey Kobra….the physical density of the sound hole PAUA shell inlay surpasses the primpy pearl abalonely of the jangly bent..thus creating a force field …
p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm62.showMessage?topicID=358.topic – 51k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#2 2006-12-27 14:55:51

fishbait1
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'abalonely' for 'abalone'

I figured that there must be some “abaloney”s out there, and there are! 1,180 g-hits, to be precise! Perhaps we should differentiate the meanings of the two, and declare fake abalone to be “abaloney”?

If I remember correctly, Cole Porter wrote a song about a lonely oyster, but I don’t think he was the author of “Only the Abalonely.”

David

Board footer