Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-01 09:55:54

jorkel
Eggcornista

QUIVER about (quibble)

A Google search didn’t segregate out the eggcorn usage very well.

To quibble means to carp or bicker, i.e., make a minor objection about something. To quiver means to shake. Generally, the use of the latter in place of the former would be a malapropism, but one has to wonder whether “quiver” is being used to show physical agitation up and above “quibble.”

Examples:

American Prospect Online – ViewPrintDid Newt Gingrich quiver about being called a chronic naysayer? To the contrary: Republicans heading toward the 1994 midterm elections were determined to …
www.prospect.org/web/view-print.ww?id=9528 – 28k – Cached – Similar pages

MyMac.com: publishing since 1995My only quiver about Drive 10 is its lack of presets like fast or thorough to simplify and expedite the testing process. That quiver is very minor, though, ...
www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=168 – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

The Boston Progressive – Under The Fold: Ed Shultz radio show …I really don’t know why the White House and the Pentagon have got themselves in a quiver about this. Their practice is commonly to hedge their bets by this …
bostonprogressiveunderthefold.blogspot.com/2005/10/ed-shultz-radio-show-pulled-from-afr.html – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

Envy Of South Africa May Jolt NigeriaAs we betray our ability to manage on a grand scale, others may quiver about a Nigerian in a revere position as we had in World Health Organization under …
www.dawodu.com/martins34.htm – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Notes on Korea… to offset the possibility of the ‘good day’. we shall not delve into nor quiver about negative aspects as they may sound ethnocentric and condescending; ...
dna.cafeprogressive.com/custom.html – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: October 1962: The ‘Missile’ Crisis as Seen from Cuba …... Cuban people without delay to explain everything, that the poor diplomat is reduced to quivering about how his wife wants him to take more Sundays off. ...
www.amazon.com/October-1962-Missile-Cri … 087348956X – 112k – Cached – Similar pages

October 2003 | blackfilm.com | features | interviews | THE HUMAN …AD: Well, I keep hearing that is what people are quivering about. Every black person I talked to doesn’t have a problem with it. I think people see Hopkins …
www.blackfilm.com/20031031/features/allison_davis.shtml – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer