Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-02 08:51:24

poodletail

"The problem is is that ..." for "The problem is that ..."

This is a relatively new one. Sometimes it’s “The bottom line is is …”

#2 2007-01-03 00:25:00

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "The problem is is that ..." for "The problem is that ..."

This is extremely common, especially in speech—Google “the problem is, is” and “the reason is, is,” using quotations marks, and you’ll see what I mean. I heard it just today, from someone who was having a great deal of trouble verbalizing his thoughts. The second “is” seemed necessary to coordinate the two parts of the sentence, after a pause.

The construction has been much discussed by linguists lately, see, e.g., http:
//linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-44.html. Also “the reason is, is. . . ” I’m pretty sure there was a Language Log post on this recently, but I can’t find it. Can anyone help me out?

BTW, and for what it’s worth, this post should probably go under “Slips, Innovations and Reshapings.”

David F.

#3 2007-01-03 08:23:24

poodletail

Re: "The problem is is that ..." for "The problem is that ..."

Thanks for the clarification. It’s obviously not a new reshaping of speech, just new to my ear.

A Linguistlist poster remembers this construction used commonly in the 1950’s.

Board footer