Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-05 18:13:20

FifiSteinweg

"Lug-zhury" for "Luxury"

(I’m getting up a head of steam here!)
Usage seems to be popular in advertising voice-overs.

#2 2007-01-11 15:43:15

thew

Re: "Lug-zhury" for "Luxury"

“Lug-zhury” to me looks to be a phonetic way of spelling luxury. Merriam Webster agrees:

http://m-w.com/dictionary/luxury

#3 2007-01-18 14:27:06

FifiSteinweg

“Luk-shury” or even “Luk-zhury” I can understand, but since when has the letter x included a g-sound? Are the soft consonants supposed to sound more… er… “lugzhurious”?

#4 2007-01-18 17:17:21

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Well, one of my family names is Xavier, and though we all pronounce it as “zayv-yer,” others insist on calling us “Eggszayv-yers,” which has TWO g’s in it! ;)

#5 2007-01-19 02:34:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

Okay, I should remind people that discussions of things like this—that clearly aren’t eggcorns—should go on the “Slips, etc.” page.

That said, I was a little taken aback by this because I say “lug-zhury”; I always have, and I’m, well, not young. I followed Thew’s link above, and sure enough, Merriam Webster seems to give two pronunciation options: more or less “luk-shury” and “luk-zhury.” It’s slightly unclear—they use a bit of typographical shorthand in providing the second pronunciation. In any case, this surprised me—the second option seems very awkward to pronounce, and I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anyone use it. In a consonant cluster like /ksh/ or /gzh/ after a stressed syllable, you’d expect the whole cluster to be voiced [gzh] or unvoiced [ksh]. The mixture of unvoiced and voiced consonants in “luk-zhury” seems just plain weird.

So I went to the OED. They give two versions of “luk-shury” (the differences between the two have to do with the pronunciation of that second vowel) and also “lug-zhury.” That’s more or less what I would have expected. “Lug-zhury” is the last of the OED’s three options—indicating that it is less common than the other two—but it is a standard option.

I suspect the second Merriam Webster pronunciation is just plain wrong, but perhaps there’s an American dialect out there somewhere that uses that bizarre “luk-zhury” approach.

#6 2007-01-22 09:41:53

buzhwa

Yeah, lug-zhury is totally fine in my variety of English… luk-zhury or luk-shury doesn’t make sense to me because there are two vowels surrounding the consonant cluster.

Last edited by buzhwa (2007-01-22 09:44:22)

#7 2007-01-22 11:54:49

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

For me it’s luk-shurry, but lug-zhurious and lug-zhuriate and I think I’m right and so is everyone else.

#8 2007-01-22 14:02:38

FifiSteinweg

(I accept this isn’t an eggcorn at all, so any admins out there, please feel free – as you no doubt are – to move this elsewhere. Apologies.)

Dear Buzhwa,

It seems that “lugzhury” variants abound after all, but I do wonder about the justification about “vowels surrounding the consonant cluster”. Of course, variants in pronunciation don’t necessarily need justification. Wouldn’t this judgement on consonant clusters lead to “bog-sez” for “boxes”, “og-zilliary” for “auxilliary”, etc.?

#9 2007-01-22 23:38:18

patschwieterman
Administrator

Maybe a phonologist could figure out what’s going on here, but I don’t think I can.

I can’t find a pattern that works all the time. I think most of the cases where an “x” becomes /gz/ instead of /ks/ seem to be places in which the stress is on the syllable that follows the x. Some examples: examples, exacting, examine, exhilarating, anxiety, auxiliary, exiguous, exhausting. The problem is that I can also think of some counter-examples: vexatious, hexagonal, taxonomy, Maxine, toxicity.

And then we’ve also got the problem of the word with which this started—“luxury.” But—for those of us who use the “lug-zhury” pronunciation—I think that might be explained by a generalization of the pronunciation of “luxurious,” in which the stress does fall on the syllable following the x.

No doubt many different factors are involved here—the origin of a word, the stress pattern in the word, whether the vowel following the x is high or low, back or front, etc.

All of this reminds me of the time a Scandinavian friend asked, “Why do you say ‘house’ for the singular but ‘hou-zez’ for the plural? Why does the s turn into a z?” I think my answer was something along the lines of “Uh…uh…uh….”

(By the way, both Merriam Webster and the OED are of the opinion that “aug-ziliary” is the standard pronunciation; neither gives an example of “auk-siliary.”)

Board footer