Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-06 13:11:46

klakritz
Eggcornista

'stalking feet' for 'stocking feet'

The database already contains stock -> stalk, but not this particular sub-eggcorn. It’s semantically apt, since bare or lightly shod feet, being silent, are good for stalking. Examples:

Leona’s were the steady sound of stiletto heels hitting the off-white tile; Willow’s the soft thud of stalking feet.
www.angelfire.com/pa/shattereddreams/story2.html

It’s an inside party and I couldn’t have her going around in bare feet much less in her stalking feet…
www.thebabycorner.com/boards/showthread.php?t=310638

Every time you take your shoes off at the airport security, and walk in your stalking feet, remember the shoe-bomber they caught…
www.inforumblog.com/?m=200608&paged=3

You want to hear every psychotic whisper and the shuffle of treacherous, stalking feet.
www.xbox.com/en-US/games/gamegurus/ryan … orrors.htm

I stepped in some aging vomit in my stalking feet, with athletes foot and no change of socks. Yuck!
blogsbie.blogspot.com/

It was that rhythmic thump, setting a drumming tempo that pulled my stalking feet across the room.
www.geocities.com/astraea111/SundayGirl.html

#2 2007-01-08 00:35:39

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'stalking feet' for 'stocking feet'

“Stalk still” also gets about 500 hits. Makes sense—a predator stalking prey will know not to move until the timing’s right.

#3 2007-06-07 16:54:47

patschwieterman
Administrator

I notice that “stalk still” just made it into the Eggcorn Database. No mention of this post from back in January, but, well, at least it made it.

#4 2007-06-22 10:51:57

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

About this one:

“You want to hear every psychotic whisper and the shuffle of treacherous, stalking feet. ”
www.xbox.com/en-US/games/gamegurus/ryan … orrors.htm

Couldn’t that be a deliberate pun? Sort of Jackson Browne-esque (“you can hear the sound of slamming doors and folding chairs”)? Probably not on an advertising site, but in song lyrics, or a poem, I’d think it was.

But I agree the others are eggcorns.

Board footer