Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-20 03:03:52

Seingault

pneumonic for mnemonic

I’m new to this place…so tell me if this doesnt belong here. I am experiencing an outbreak of the use of “pneumonic” where one would expect to find “mnemonic”. This has spread , over the last year, through a large UK organisation, and is now cropping up throughout the community. I think the outbreak can be traced to a new recruit to a small group of national trainers. On gently interrogating some new converts, I discover that they do not believe the word has anything to do with lungs, but that it is something “new” (...modern and dynamic like..erm “new deal” “new labour” “new right” ???). No one was quite clear what a “monic” is but one thought it might be to do with “name” (on the grounds that it might be associated with “monicker”).

It may be, of course, that I have not really witnessed the birth of a star. perhaps this has just been lying dormant in some dark corner for years, awaiting its chance.

#2 2007-01-22 09:36:23

buzhwa

Re: pneumonic for mnemonic

“Pneumonic device” gets quite a few Google hits, and I have definitely heard people pronounce “mnemonic” with the first syllable sounding like “new” =)

#3 2011-12-30 16:52:16

patschwieterman
Administrator

I just heard “newmonic device” this morning. We’ve had “pneumonic device” submitted multiple times, and people have noted the more eggcornical “new-” variant—as buzhwa does above—but no one has made it searchable by spelling out “newmonic” or has provided any documentation. It makes good sense to me – you use a “newmonic” to remember new words, as the last entry below may imply. A number of the online hits were people making fun of others who use the reanalysis, but the “newmonic” spelling isn’t really all that common; most of the users appear to be schoolkids. Examples:

As for methods for memorization, a helpful one for me was a newmonic device. Make a word stand for something you need to memorize. “Never eat shredded wheat” Done clock-wise stands for “North East South West” on a compass.
http://entrustedtous.com/manual/messages/3/105.html

5. Newmonic devise for remembering Hamiltons plan
a. Pease- protective (Tariff)
b. Don’t – debt
c. Bad mouth – bank (of U.S.)
d. Every – excise (tax on Whiskey
e. Immigrant- industry (Federal government)
http://quizlet.com/2946342/american-his … ash-cards/

awsome teach. very funny. he makes geo seem easy and he comes up with cool ways to remember things like a newmonic.
http://uk.ratemyteachers.com/john-griffiths/514870-r

this is a mnemonic device, which i could never remember how to pronounce till my daughter said, “mom, it’s not an oldmonic, it’s a newmonic.”
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/cv … ies-6.html

Last edited by patschwieterman (2011-12-30 16:53:14)

#4 2011-12-30 19:28:03

kem
Eggcornista

2011 goes out with the sodden plop of low-hanging fruit.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2011-12-30 21:29:57

burred
Eggcornista

Careful about those memes. You could catch a newmonic plague.

he needed a heart transplant, he had fluid in his lungs, and also had newmonia. You said to my daughter just tell the lord what you need. he hears your prayer. as you prayed three hours later at 1:00 am we got a call from Wesleys mother. she was histiracle. She said my baby is healed. She said quote. The Doctors can’t believe what had happened. Wesleys heart is fine. no fluid in his lungs and no more Newmonia.
Faith healing

Board footer