Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-22 12:41:59

jorkel
Eggcornista

KEY (keen) ...is KEY on ---ing...

I have often heard “key” used in place of “keen.” It is difficult to locate examples unless one constructs a short expression—like “is key on”—which can be easily screened. Perhaps there are other constructions that would be more fruitful, so I challenge others to provide those examples.

Google counts on Jan 22, 2007
361,000 “is keen on”
24,000 “is key on” – estimated… less than 5% eggcorns.

When someone “is keen on” something, it means they are enthusiastic about it. When something “is key” it means that it is of importance. Perhaps through a blending of these usages, one gets the eggcorn “is key on.” The precise (intended) meaning is probably close to “is keen on.”

Examples…

iDVD, not Wiimote, is key on expanding the market – Apple News …iDVD, not Wiimote, is key on expanding the market. Posted Dec 22, 2006 at 06:44AM by Ryan A. Listed in: Interviews, Gaming Tags: Wiimote, Dominic Wheatley …
apple.qj.net/iDVD-not-Wiimote-is-key-on-expanding-the-market/pg/49/aid/76997 – 64k – Cached – Similar pages

Oil with a 50 handle? MLPS on hold!This might be a sign that Valero is on track for the 3rd quarter and could boost the distribution; which is key on getting the stock price to breakout of …
www.themoneyblogs.com/masterlimitedpart … hold.html 26k – Cached – Similar pages

AuctionBytes :: View topic – General advice for eBay newbiesThis will allow bidders to get a sense of ownership of the item and is key on getting them to bid and bid high. Ebay is a very liquid market and you can …
www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewto … =asc&hi… – 38k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] ...S c i e n c e E d u c a t i o n … S c i e n c e …File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
continuum is key on taking timed math tests! However,. these highly important daily math concepts are not just for. the MCAS tests. ...
www.tltree.com/TLTSPNewYear05.pdf – Similar pages

[PDF] UntitledFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
The Wholesalers Committee is key on having Guam included in the CONUS designation for. shipping/transportation purposes that will eventually qualify them …
www.guamchamber.com.gu/pdf/econ/2005EDC.pdf – Similar pages

#2 2007-01-22 12:53:53

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: KEY (keen) ...is KEY on ---ing...

The eggcorn also works the other way as well…
105,000 “key in on”
10 “keen in on”—eggcorns

Inasmuchas “key on” is used in place of “keen on,” it would seem that “keen in on” is used in place of “key in on.”

Examples:

Writing, Editing, Marketing Virtual Assistant in WashingtonWith all the difficulties I have with talking…mostly rambling…you did very well to keen in on the points I attempted to stress. ...
www.virtuallyyourz.com/testimonials.php – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Bert Oliva, Live Life ,Don’t Let Life Live you.Bert helped me keen in on my delegation skills, which is terrific for someone who had major problems “letting go”. My management skills have greatly …
www.bertoliva.com/coachingseries.htm – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

WILX – News”You can keen in on certain things and not just—wide open and not knowing which direction you’re going into,” magnet school parent Chitra Pulliam said. ...
www.wilx.com/news/headlines/2215276.html – 51k – Jan 20, 2007 – Cached – Similar pages

#3 2007-01-22 12:59:32

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: KEY (keen) ...is KEY on ---ing...

Before leaving this topic, I would also point out a usage of “clue”...
105,000 “key in on”
973 “clue in on”

The low count for the latter would suggest that something is wrong with it. At any rate, I wonder whether “clue in on” was begotten of the close-enough-sounding “key in on.” Any thoughts?

Board footer