Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-26 14:49:40

jorkel
Eggcornista

Skipping or skimming stones? Or either?

Google counts on Jan 26, 2007
176,000 “skipping stones”
28,500 “skimming stones”

Apparently, either term is correct. (See Wikipedia reference below). But I suspect that one term preceded the other—making the latter an eggcorn until it gained in popularity, I guess. Perhaps Patschwieterman will come around and give us his take on this.

Stone skipping – Wikipedia, the free encyclopediastone skipping. The pastime is also called stone skimming, stone skiting, and ducks and drakes in the UK; and stone skiffing in Ireland according to Jerdone …
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_skipping – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Examples:

PJ Online | Onlooker (Stone-skinning science / Antidepressants may …Skimming stones almost horizontally across water so that they skip as far … The writers point out that skimming stones across water has been popular for …
www.pjonline.com/Editorial/20040228/com … ooker.html – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

cooltech.iafrica.com | tech news The science of skimming stones The art of skimming a pebble on the surface of a pond has been boiled down to a mathematical formula by a French physicist, who says it’s all to do with the …
cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/176928.htm – 30k – Cached – Similar pages

Stone Skipping Gets ScientificWith a sidearm toss and flick of the wrist, people young and old have been skipping stones across bodies of water for thousands of years. ...
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/01/0107_040108_stoneskipping.html – 36k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Skipping stonesFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
The rules of competition for skipping stones have never changed (Thomson 2000):. a stone or a shell is thrown over a water surface and the maximum number of …
lpmcn.univ-lyon1.fr/~lbocquet/JFM_skippingstones.pdf – Similar pages

Skimming and skipping stones—Humble, 10.1093/teamat/hrl016 …... Dictionaries, Dictionary of National Biography, Digital Reference … Online Products, Oxford English Dictionary, Reference, Rights and Permissions …
teamat.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/rapidpdf/hrl016v1 – Similar pages

#2 2007-01-26 23:06:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Skipping or skimming stones? Or either?

Me? Why me? I don’t know anything about this. And you’re doing just fine—carry on.

The only thing I can think to add is that this seems to me another example of the phenomenon I’ve dubbed “a Jorkel pair.”

And thanks for leading me to the Wikipedia article on “stone skipping”—I would never have guessed it existed otherwise. I’d always wondered what the game “Ducks and drakes” consisted of. And “skiting” and “skiffing” are new ones on me.

Your Wikipedia link was a cached one, so let me provide a live link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipping_stones

#3 2007-01-27 06:40:13

jorkel
Eggcornista

Sorry to single you out Pat. You had some great scholarly essays in the past when it comes to sorting out American regional dialects and usages. My first guess was that the preference of “skipping” or “skimming” might be a regional thing.

#4 2007-01-27 12:07:28

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, after saying, “I got nothin!,” I started thinking that “skimming” a stone sounded a little strange to me. Sure, there’s an intransitive use of “skim” in which a stone can “skim across the water.” And there’s a transitive use of “skim” in which you can, say, “skim the fat off milk.” But I wasn’t sure there was a sense of “skim” that meant “to cause something to skip or glide across a surface.” But I was wrong—this sense of “skim” is given in the OED, and in fact the first example given there refers to “skimming” stones:

8. To cause to fly lightly; to throw (a thing, esp. one having a flat surface) so that it maintains an evenness of balance or poise in its flight.
1611 COTGR., Ricochet, the sport of skimming a thinne stone on the water. 1748 RICHARDSON Clarissa (1811) IV. 138, I skimmed my hat after him to make him afraid for something. 1768 Woman of Honor III. 245, I took the guinea, and..the window being open, I skimmed it out. 1816 SCOTT Antiq. xliii, He skimmed his cocked-hat in the air. 1818 {emem} Hrt. Midl. i, Hearing the..voice of the guard as he skimmed forth for my grasp the expected packet. 1887 MARY COWDEN CLARKE Girlhood Shaks. Heroines vii. 174 To skim both bread and trencher to the other end of the hall.

If one of our two options were an eggcornish outgrowth of the other, I would have guessed that “skim” was the newcomer. But again I was wrong. The earliest use of “skip” in this sense isn’t recorded until 70 years after the first such instance of “skim.” Of course, 70 years isn’t a big gap when you’re talking about early sources—there may well be plenty of earlier “skips” lurking out there that just haven’t reached the OED yet. Here’s the relevant “skip” entry:

7. To cause to skip, bound, or jump.
1683 MOXON Mech. Exerc., Printing xxiv. {page}13 He skips his Balls both at once from the first and third Row to the second and fourth Row. 1841 CATLIN N. Amer. Ind. (1844) II. lv. 194 The usual friendly invitation however was given..by skipping several rifle bullets across the river. 1894 H. H. GARDENER Unoff. Pat. 26 He had skipped pebbles on it and waded across it at low tide.

It’s hard to be sure from the evidence that either phrase started as an eggcorn. Both uses are reasonable developments of earlier senses of the two words. Their similarity in sound and meaning may have reinforced both of them, but that’s about as far as the evidence will let me go. I think “skipping stones” and “skimming stones” are a classic Jorkel pair.

Board footer