Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-02-05 16:42:56

buddhagazelle

faulter for falter-- eggcorn or simple misspelling?

Found in the second comment at <http://tinyurl.com/2zc5te>.

“Where his analysis begins to faulter is in his assumption that the trinity did not exist at the Garden.”

This could be an ordinary misspelling, but because “falter” could be interpreted as a derivation of the word “fault,” I’m inclined to think it’s an eggcorn.

#2 2007-07-08 08:31:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: faulter for falter-- eggcorn or simple misspelling?

I was about to post this one independently today, but suddenly located it in the Forum, so I’ll just tack on some comments and examples.

Google counts on July 8, 2007:
3,850,000 falter
67,000 faulter—some could refer to a person who commits a fault
198,000 “not falter”
5420 “not faulter”

The question of whether “faulter” is an eggcorn of “falter” is analagous to a recent post in the Forum suggesting that “waiver” is an eggcorn of “waver.” Some would argue that the homophone issue raises doubt.

I tried to Google “not faulter” with “fault” to see if they were both mentioned in the same post. Although it occurred 500 times, all the examples are separated by an ellipsis which breaks the connectedness of the two. So, I couldn’t demostrate a connection between the two by virtue of their juxtaposition.

Examples…

Chinese dragon awakens – Page 7 – ConservativeundergroundThat is not Nixon’s fault. Had he not been the victim of a left-wing … “We will not faulter. We will not waver. We will not tire, and we will not fail. ...
www.conservativeunderground.com/forum/s … 632&page=7 – 112k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

enoughalready’s Profile on The Huffington Post – The Huffington Post… is up for our troops – Bush was warned of this but he will not faulter. ... You can not convince me that Bush and Cheney are any less at fault here. ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/users/profile/enoughalready – 113k – Cached – Similar pages

#3 2017-04-02 02:30:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: faulter for falter-- eggcorn or simple misspelling?

Bringing this oldie up for more love, in the form of this variation I encountered the other day:

You ALL who deserve a huge thank you, and handshake (and a hug) for your enduring and unfaultering dedication to these things you/WE believe in.
FB comment

I think that if it’s not just a misspelling, it’s a dandy eggcorn. The meaning connection is certainly there.

Board footer