Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-02-14 10:50:17

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Kiddygarden (Kindergarten)

We’ve all heard this one I’m sure… yet search found nothing, so I’m just tossing it out here.

#2 2007-02-14 12:24:20

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Kiddygarden (Kindergarten)

I’m a bit on the fence about this one for a couple of reasons.

First, the etymology of the components (kiddy + garden) are the same as the components of the original (kinder + garten). I don’t know if this is an automatic disqualifier for eggcorn status, but it might be. (I struggled with “quarrelous” being an eggcorn of “querulous” for the same reason a while back).

The second factor to consider is whether this was an unintentional alteration. (But, that’s not an entirely fatal flaw either). Although some persons may use it as an intentional play on words, it’s conceivable that a few others may not. The trick, I suppose, would be to demonstrate the latter with some convincing example where the context clearly points to an unintentional reshaping.

#3 2007-02-14 12:53:29

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Kiddygarden (Kindergarten)

jorkel wrote:

I’m a bit on the fence about this one for a couple of reasons.

I wondered about your first objection too..
As for the second, I have known many people that have used the word kiddygarden thinking that was the right word. (One of whom also says valentime’s day.) In fact, in some circles I’ve frequented, kiddygarden was the standard way of saying it.

A couple of possible google examples:
“Why do people think everything is marshmellows and every childs life is kiddygarden highschool work then death? ” (mashmellow!!)
(link omitted because it messed up message formatting)

“To be quite honest, I think my son is like a mark there because he was raised in church, was in a private Christian school in a church for kiddygarden and …”
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&c … HDvOn9o6ZA

Last edited by Craig C Clarke (2007-02-14 12:55:50)

Board footer