Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-11-25 08:05:20

klakritz
Eggcornista

'gird your lions' for 'gird your loins'

As a metaphor for preparing to fight, this makes about as much sense as the original. About 60 ghits:

Why do you not gird your lions with the truth of the Bible, instead of clinging to the teachings of your fellow brothers …
aoim.com/cf/EntryDetails.CFM?Articles__EntryNo=148

And he preached the entire sermon about what it meant to gird your lions. www.fpcjackson.org/resources/sermons/ exodus/Exodus%20Vol%201%20&%

Gird Your lions like a warrior, and I will ask you when I laid the earth’s foundation? 64.235.229.86/forum/showthread. php?t=229&page=5&pp=15

As we head to the finish line, gird your lions for a few surprises.
www.channel5belize.com/archive_ detail_story.php?story_id=14828

I want to go to the Central Park Zoo with you guys again. If I can’t visit the lions of Venice, I’ll check out those of Fifth Avenue. So gird your lions.
artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/ Articles2003/Articles0703/PFrank0703.html

Gird your lions with truth – Walk in truth.
www.teenchallenge-ntx.org/prayerguide.htm

You have to gird your lions, take a deep breath and hope to God they left a note.
www.queenoframbles.com/blog/archives/2004_09.html

I’m about to gird my lions and finish cleaning out a bed that I got top soil into …
www.dermotoneill.com/FORUM/topic.asp?TopicID=32

It was my religious beliefs that gave me guilt over the sexual act and kept me chaste, I learned how to gird my lions, encircle the groin, ...
globalguest.com/gb1/DAGON/guestbook5.html

#2 2007-09-06 13:34:36

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: 'gird your lions' for 'gird your loins'

Well, this is a fun one! The other use of lion vs. loin is in recipes or ads for meat! Doesn’t this sound tasty?

Beef Tenderlion with Gorgonzola-Nut Butter

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tenderlion

When I was a kid, my brother and I were at a drive-in (not -thru, mind you) restaurant, and on the menu was a tenderloin sandwich. I told him they had tenderlion on the menu (I know better), and he said, “Really?!” I’m proud to say he was the older brother and I the younger. And I grew up going to Sunday school, so “girding one’s lions” is an irresistible transposition of two letters.

I don’t know if this would qualify as an eggcorn, though, would it? It seems to be instead a persistant (and understandable) misspelling rather than something a person might actually say.

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer