Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-01 11:54:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'bombfire' for 'bonfire'

bonfire – 6,290,000 ghits
bombfire – 501 ghits

As a young child I thought bonfires were ‘bombfires’; that’s what everyone seemed to call them and it seemed to make sense. I was reminded of it in something I read today and googling it reveals that this eggcornish misapprehension remains alive and well. It does seem to be a mainly BrEnglish variant, though I haven’t waded through all the citations…

Guy Fawkes, They celebrate Guy Fawkes because someone called Guy Fawkes tried to blow up house of parliament, so on the 5 of November, they have a bombfire …
lvillage.education.vic.gov.au/lv/beps/hp.nsf/PreviewHomePages/madisonpalmieri – 10k – Cached

Each year on the day after Thanksgiving, the Residents of Redstone, CO gather for a large bombfire in the parking lot of th Redstone Inn. They gather a …
shaych.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_archive.html – 69k – Cached

Social: What do people think about having a bombfire night party at the club? 4. Welcome to the Aldenham Sailing Club Members’ Forum, 3 …
www.aldenhamsc.co.uk/.../index.php?PHPS … and=200510 – 67k – Cached

... but back then, it was just us all sitting around having a drink with a little bombfire, yes we caused trouble but we was young (i was never a chav, ...
www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php?name=Ne … e&sid=1000 – 35k – Cached

#2 2007-03-01 15:43:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'bombfire' for 'bonfire'

Apologies to siameez who posted this on 3rd January 07 – I checked both the Eggcorn Forum Search and the Eggcorn Database Search as well as Google but somehow it didn’t register.

Board footer