Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-05 00:19:58

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

tug-a-war for tug-of-war

All over the net… 31,700 ghits.
Maybe sorta eggcornish, people may think that they are engaging in “tugging a war,” or something… but somehow the substitution of a one-letter word for a two-letter word makes it all feel too slight to be definitive. People may just be spelling out the “lazy” way of pronouncing it.

#2 2007-03-06 11:21:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: tug-a-war for tug-of-war

Two teams of ‘tuggers’ have a ‘war’ by pulling their respective ends of the rope. I idly wondered whether anyone might think it was a “tugger war”. Oh yes…300 googlehits:

“There are all sorts of games to play and last year the big event was the tugger war.” I can’t get it through his head that the game is called tug-o-war. ...
mike.reed.org/mam21.htm – 39k – Cached

Toys I Like:, she likes to play tugger war with a tugger war rope. I Eat:, She eats dog food and she likes the bones that have characters from scooby do on …
me.com/krissy59/Annie/ – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached

The college has an annual tugger war festival, and the losers get pulled into a mud pit—complete with rocks, glass, and who knows what else. ...
www.ericandleslie.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 6&start=15 – 79k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#3 2007-03-25 23:46:37

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: tug-a-war for tug-of-war

Peter Forster wrote:

Two teams of ‘tuggers’ have a ‘war’ by pulling their respective ends of the rope. I idly wondered whether anyone might think it was a “tugger war”. Oh yes…300 googlehits:

“There are all sorts of games to play and last year the big event was the tugger war.” I can’t get it through his head that the game is called tug-o-war. ...
mike.reed.org/mam21.htm – 39k – Cached

Toys I Like:, she likes to play tugger war with a tugger war rope. I Eat:, She eats dog food and she likes the bones that have characters from scooby do on …
me.com/krissy59/Annie/ – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached

The college has an annual tugger war festival, and the losers get pulled into a mud pit—complete with rocks, glass, and who knows what else. ...
www.ericandleslie.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 6&start=15 – 79k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Well, though mine may not be an eggcorn, yours certainly is. Good find!

Board footer