Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-03-05 06:19:58

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

tug-a-war for tug-of-war

All over the net… 31,700 ghits.
Maybe sorta eggcornish, people may think that they are engaging in “tugging a war,” or something… but somehow the substitution of a one-letter word for a two-letter word makes it all feel too slight to be definitive. People may just be spelling out the “lazy” way of pronouncing it.

#2 2007-03-06 17:21:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: tug-a-war for tug-of-war

Two teams of ‘tuggers’ have a ‘war’ by pulling their respective ends of the rope. I idly wondered whether anyone might think it was a “tugger war”. Oh yes…300 googlehits:

“There are all sorts of games to play and last year the big event was the tugger war.” I can’t get it through his head that the game is called tug-o-war. ...
mike.reed.org/mam21.htm – 39k – Cached

Toys I Like:, she likes to play tugger war with a tugger war rope. I Eat:, She eats dog food and she likes the bones that have characters from scooby do on …
me.com/krissy59/Annie/ – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached

The college has an annual tugger war festival, and the losers get pulled into a mud pit—complete with rocks, glass, and who knows what else. ...
www.ericandleslie.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 6&start=15 – 79k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#3 2007-03-26 04:46:37

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: tug-a-war for tug-of-war

Peter Forster wrote:

Two teams of ‘tuggers’ have a ‘war’ by pulling their respective ends of the rope. I idly wondered whether anyone might think it was a “tugger war”. Oh yes…300 googlehits:

“There are all sorts of games to play and last year the big event was the tugger war.” I can’t get it through his head that the game is called tug-o-war. ...
mike.reed.org/mam21.htm – 39k – Cached

Toys I Like:, she likes to play tugger war with a tugger war rope. I Eat:, She eats dog food and she likes the bones that have characters from scooby do on …
me.com/krissy59/Annie/ – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached

The college has an annual tugger war festival, and the losers get pulled into a mud pit—complete with rocks, glass, and who knows what else. ...
www.ericandleslie.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 6&start=15 – 79k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Well, though mine may not be an eggcorn, yours certainly is. Good find!

Board footer