Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-13 18:01:43

canismajoris

"overjealous" for "overzealous"

I read this recently, and I thought “eggcorn,” but I’m new around here:

“I agree they probably SHOULD stay away from high pressure sales locations, but she went there for an oil change. I think pressuring anyone to buy a new car when they are simply getting routine maintenance on their already new car is ridiculously over-jealous, even for a car salesman.”

I assumed the guy meant “overzealous” (over-zealous?), because that’s what I would have said. At least, what I’d have guessed he was trying to imply was that the salesman was a bit too eager to make a sale, but he ended up saying that the salesman was so paranoid that his fellow salesmen would swoop in that he sold the woman a car in response.

Let me know what you think.

Edit:

I found another instance that I think falls into the same category (whatever that may be).

“Don’t think so fast on having to leave the store to be prosecuted. Many states have a concealment law and you may be arrested on the spot (yes, inside the store) if you conceal any merchandise. As for Exit Checkers, they’re just doing their job. Yes, some get a little overjealous.”

Last edited by canismajoris (2007-03-13 18:10:01)

#2 2007-03-16 18:20:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "overjealous" for "overzealous"

“Overjealous” and “overzealous” are awfully close in sound, and both involve intense emotion. That might be enough for this to qualify as an eggcorn. Some might question what jealousy is even involved here, but I’ve seen a lot of people dismiss other people’s behavior by saying, “he’s just jealous,” so I think the new context is good enough (albeit imprecise). So, I’d give this one the nod toward eggcorn.

Untitled DocumentAt the Min-Vodi airport in Stavropol in Russia, policemen may be a bit overjealous when they inspect. your traveling documents trying as they will always …
www.esperiatv.com/INDEX9.html – 3k – Cached – Similar pages

Chris Leak, The Baited GatorYes, there was a smatterring of boo birds, a few dozen drunken frat boys or overjealous fans with momentarily skewed perspective. But the overall effect was …
www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/comme … 7010701093 – Similar pages

The Light(er) Side of Growing UpI get a little overjealous with my bidding sometimes though. I start bidding on a few very similar items and then hold my breath as all the auctions end, ...
thelightersideofgrowingup.blogspot.com/ – 73k – Cached – Similar pages

GYMN-L Digest – 1 Apr 1996 to 2 Apr 1996 There are 14 messages …What has Shannon Miller gotten for being burned out and stalked (yes, remember, the overjealous fan. He didn’t mean any harm, but he scared this shy, ...
ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/gymn/Digests/Vol4/96.04.02 – 78k – Cached – Similar pages

Re: Permits to photograph old architectual sites in Paris/Rome?... maybe that’s why you noticed the male guards not being overjealous I’ve even heard guards say you can’t enter with a camera than has a “big” lens …
lists.apple.com/archives/QuickTime-VR/2002/Dec/msg00164.html – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer