Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-16 11:20:01

compling

mete >> meter

Heard this one on the radio this morning, and didn’t see it mentioned here.

Primarily in “mete out”, e.g. “mete out punishment”, “mete out justice”.

Examples:

The uniform is not a right to meter out punishment as they see fit. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2 … force.html)

Consequently, new precedents of international protocol began incorporating mechanisms to meter out punishment for those who would commission gross crimes. (http://www.unanca.org/YPIC/Press/press_impunity.asp)

Why not let Iraqi judicial systems meter out justice for offenses perpetrated on Iraqi soil? (http://controlcongress.com/uncategorize … on-in-iraq)

#2 2007-03-16 15:50:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: mete >> meter

This one’s going to take more research before I’d call it an eggcorn. I don’t know whether “mete” and “meter” have the exact same etymology, but both are derived from words that mean “measure”—perhaps by different routes.

The applicable definition of “mete” seems to be “to assign by measure, allot.” I always find that a bit odd because the average person doesn’t think in terms of portions when he speaks of “meting” out punishment. But if that usage holds, then the alteration “metering of punishment” would not be such a large departure in context. In general, the strongest eggcorns are those where an entirely new context is created.

I’d conclude that “mete” and “meter” are both being used to mean “parcel out,” so an eggcorn is not apparent.

#3 2007-03-16 16:00:59

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: mete >> meter

MEATING out punishment?

It’s hard for me to accept this variation as an eggcorn either because I’m not clear what imagery would be intended by it. Could there be a reference to pounding a piece of meat? Or even the notion of tossing meat out to a dog as a reward?

The other possibilities are that these usages are simple misspellings or “eye dialect” misspellings.

Time for the VigilantiesThey have their own code of conduct They meat out punishment to their own kind who overstep the mark. Like the two yobs who stole a bloke’s car. ...
www.wiganworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php? … 5303c1efc4 – 73k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

UNCONQUERABLE HEART Part 6I’d stopped the crucifictions and gave the people a chance to bury their dead choosing to meat out punishment within. The Conqueror did nothing to stop me …
members.aol.com/phoenixclaire/UH6.html – 8k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

This Week SF Citadel – Society of Janus – tribe.netWe all know that to spare the rod is to spoil the child; luckily, Sister Dee Licious will be present to instruct and meat out punishment to those in dire …
societyofjanus.tribe.net/thread/504ac362-d441-4fb8-8822-c0e50b680d95 – 33k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer