Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-26 11:27:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

PAWN bearer (pall)

Don’t get too excited about this one … only 6 Google hits. But, I’m posting it because I’m really surprised that the mistake isn’t made more often. (Besides, I personally like it.)

A “pall” is a coffin (or heavy cloth draped over a coffin). It certainly seems to be a word less well known than “pawn,” and the verbal alteration in getting from “pall” to “pawn” is not that great. This would bode well for a potential eggcorn. And as for context… a silent, respectful person positioned at one of several positions around a square coffin might evoke the imagery of a pawn (on a chessboard). [Perhaps even a subliminal linguistic influence from “pawn broker.”] Whence, “pawn bearer.”

Example:

RIP buddy – Asylum ForumsHis mom asked me to be his pawn bearer and I’m more than honored. But I’ll miss that guy. He wasn’t exactly the perfect gentelman,In fact,most people find …
www.asylumnation.com/asylum/_r/showthre … index.html – 145k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-03-26 11:30:19)

Board footer