Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-26 11:51:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

ENGINUITY (ingenuity)

Google counts on March 26, 2007
11,300,000 “ingenuity”
224,000 “enginuity”—eggcorn + product name & other intentional usages.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Ingenuity” is “skill or cleverness in devising or combining: INVENTIVENESS,” and much invention is done by engineers these days rather than inventors per se, so it is not surprising to see the eggcorn “enginuity” spring up. One might even think from the perspective of individuals that tinker with and rebuild engines and beget the fictitious quality “enginuity” that way. (Personally, I think this is more than a misspelling because of the imagery).

Examples:

Backyard Roller Coaster – POV – Yahoo! VideoThis guy is a genius and a doer, both in his enginuity and his fortitude to go ahead and build it. This is the mindset that built this once great country. ...
video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=266040 – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Blogfish: September 2005The movie doesn’t make Cage out as a hero, but you find yourself admiring his enginuity as he constantly finds ways around embargos and arms trafficking …
jewfish.greenpride.com/2005_09_01_archive.html – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: “Hottest actors”“Mekhi phifer has done so many different roles and made a name for himself big time i really admire his enginuity im a big fan” ...
www.amazon.com/Hottest-actors/lm/3RJ2FU2FG7IBI – 187k – Cached – Similar pages

Guest Book – Hugh McLellanIt was Hugh who thought this up=—-typical of his enginuity. Unfortunately I didnt get to spend much time with Hugh in the last years but he will always be …
www.legacy.com/Link.asp?I=GB000003586900 – 28k – Cached – Similar pages

ASB 222These are the obvious lessons they have learned, the not so obvious ones are the respect that they now have for prehistoric man and his enginuity to build …
www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/proj/anthro/ … scuss.html – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer