Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-29 12:07:39

Dink Meeker

Do you believen God?

A while ago, I was told that “belief” comes from an Old English word meaning “by life”, i.e., we show our belief by our life. When I actually looked this up, I discovered it was not even remotely true, so I did a google search to try to find where this myth started. I only found one site, which claimed the OE word was “beliven” (OE doesn’t even have the letter ‘v’, as far as I know). Looking for further results, I googled “beliven”, only to discover that almost all of the hits were misspellings of “believen”, a reinterpretation of “believe in”. This even makes some sense, in analogy with words like “darken”, “flatten” etc., where the ”-en” suffix creates a transitive verb. I was even able to find a few examples of the verb being conjugated, so “if one believens God”, and “believening God just because…”.

This is my first submission to the Eggcorn database. Is this a legitimate eggcorn?

#2 2007-03-29 15:12:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Do you believen God?

Not long ago I would have said that the etymology of the two words “believe” and “believen” are too close to constitute an eggcorn, but I’ve since backed away from that stance. (Run a search on “ahold” if you want the details).

I think you’ve made a good case for “in” being transformed to ”-en.” And the example you cite really drives the point home. So, now I’d say yes it is an eggcorn.

It would be nice to see some more examples… Perhaps with a different base word. (E.g., “flat in” becomes “flatten,” or “dark in” becomes “darken.” ) The two I mention here probably aren’t viable, but there must be others.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-03-29 15:14:24)

Board footer