Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-10 14:20:55

spider dlb

'Sit up in bed' and 'queersoak'

Following the interesting Radio programme last night, I wanted to share two of my Wife’s (what I believe to be) eggcorns. Rather than a ‘sit up and beg’, she calls an old-fashioned bicycle a ‘sit up in bed’, assuring me that is what everyone called them in her home town of Deal in Kent! As she says, when you ride one it makes you sit upright, like you do in bed.
I once got a shopping list out of my pocket in the local DIY shop, and found on the list the item ‘queer soak’, for ‘creosote’. This made me laugh, but I could also see why this strong smelling wood preservative seemed to justify her understood name for it.
Well, what do you think?

#2 2007-04-16 05:36:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'Sit up in bed' and 'queersoak'

I was reminded of your post yesterday when I heard someone talking of an African tyrant notable for his chestful of self-awarded military decorations. She described him as a ‘medalomaniac’, or perhaps it was only a ‘meddleomaniac’. Neither possible eggcorn registers on Google, our usual source of citations, and unfortunately neither of yours do either. I believe they are eggcorns, but I reluctantly accept that some verificaton is needed – we could simply be making them up! Do keep saving (then Googling) your wife’s utterances though – it sounds as if she may well lay a golden eggcorn at any time…

Board footer